• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Polk Audio SDA 1 Interconnecting Cable?

Your in for a treat,Without the cable they sound good
But they really open up with the cable!
Their 4 ohm and very efficient at 89db and can handle
up to 500 watts.I at first had them running through
a Velodyne subwoofer,But the bottom end on the SDA's were plenty so I unhooked it.
Heres an old thread ,me questioning common ground
amplifiers you might find useful or confusing-
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106736&highlight=common+ground+amplifier
 
Soooo....where are we at on this? Are they the blade/blade connector or the pin/blade connector? If pin/blade, here's a couple of easy things you can do. Easiest way...take a basic cheap RCA cable that you might have around the house, cut the outside 4 (usually) metal tabs off that hold the RCA in place. Do this on both ends. Plug one end of the RCA into one speakers' "pin" opening and do the same on the other end. You now have connected the SDA drivers. In the pin/blade configuration, the pin is the only one that carries signal and the blade is literally for support and carries NO signal.

The next better involves adding on a singe banana style speaker connector on each speakers terminal cup (if possible) or close to where the original one is which I can't recall. Of course, you have to open the speakers up and remove the wire from the factory pin connector and move to the new one. Plus, while you're at it, you could always replace those factory connectors with something better from Parts Express. Not a "have to", mind you.

And finally...if it's the blade/blade connector, you'll want to find an actual replacement for it as both leads carry signal. If you want to take it a step further, you can do like I did and get rid of that stock connector and use male/female XLR connectors and a nice speaker cable in between them. There are some posts in the Polk forum about that. Watch those guys, though. They'll have you upgrading those things before you know it! :D Take it one step at a time and enjoy them along the way. (ok, admittedly I am one of those that likes to tinker and upgrade within reason...3 pairs of SDA's so far)

Enjoy!
 
I had a pair of those same speakers for a while and powered them with an Adcom 555II. I still have the improvised cable I used. Simply put, it is 16 gauge speaker wire about 12 feet long and has small alligator clips on both ends that I clipped onto some recessed pins. Once connected, they sounded nothing like they did unconnected. i.e., a world better! Nice find. Weird, but awesome sound when eating gobbs of power.
 
Soooo....where are we at on this? Are they the blade/blade connector or the pin/blade connector? If pin/blade, here's a couple of easy things you can do. Easiest way...take a basic cheap RCA cable that you might have around the house, cut the outside 4 (usually) metal tabs off that hold the RCA in place. Do this on both ends. Plug one end of the RCA into one speakers' "pin" opening and do the same on the other end. You now have connected the SDA drivers. In the pin/blade configuration, the pin is the only one that carries signal and the blade is literally for support and carries NO signal. ...

Curiosity got the best of me ... there are 2 pins (1 at 10-11 o'clock and 1 at 1-2 o'clock) and a egg-shaped horizontal hole (at 6 o'clock) ... so I assume that it what is referred to as a pin/blade connection ... I think I will try the modified RCA connection to start with ... thanks for the input.
 
The SDA's I just picked up are a 'signature' variant of the 1A. the ports are covered with a small brass plate. It reads "Signature Edition", with Matthew's scribble below. I suppose this was an economy measure so they could use up the older cabs, as opposed to tossing them in the skip. A friend in the same town as the ad got them for me for $90, and they came with 2 NIB SL 2500 tweeters. They need some TLC, but I'm patient, so they are on the road to full recovery. :thmbsp:
 
With the help of BoyWonder over at Club Polk ... I have ordered some plugs that should allow me to build an interconnecting cable for my SDA 1 speakers ... I'll report back.
 
I am wondering how these sound. I have been listening to my RTA 12's and am amazed at the bass on these things. I imagine your should sound great.
 
I can vouch for the SRS II's sounding outstanding. :D I've had a pair of the SDA 1C's and SDS 2.3's, too. The 2.3's are at my buddy's house in AR now running on a Carver TFM-55 amp (380wpc) which is the same amp I use on my SRS II's. Gotta love power...
 
Don't know how they sound yet, I've got to replace both fuse holders on the right channel, and the binding post caps are gone, so I've got to pull the x-over board to put it right. I can't wait to see how my KR-9050 likes them. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom