• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Polk Monitor 10s vs 7s

pigeonface

New Member
I know this topic has been covered to death on here and others various forums and the consensus is that the 7s won. But think I like the 10s better?

Long story short, I’m set up in a less-than-ideal space (high ceilings, one partial wall, no rug on hardwood floors yet) and having trouble “filling” the room ie everything I try sounds thin.

I went from a Grado Prestige Red to an Ortofon 2M Blue for the increased output (anecdotally it’s way higher). Was using a pair of Monitor 7 Series II’s that I got for cheap and they just sounded...off. Thin, trebly, no presence. Rolling the treble way back helped (I’m using a pretty neutral HK 430) but I figured I’d try a pair of 10s I had sitting around just to see what they sounded like.

It turns out they work way better for the space. I guess sound isn’t quite as defined or precise but it was too sharp before. Also totally listenable now. I am supposed to get stands today so maybe I’ll give the 7s another run with those (they’ve been on crates) and should be getting a rug soon. But the difference between the 7s and 10s was so dramatic that I can’t see these changes necessarily saving the 7s, or putting them over the top.

Anyway, is this heresy?

WJ
 
Register to hide this ad
If it sounds good to you, then it's GOOD! Never mind what we think. I used to have 7s. I went with them because the salesman convinced me to get a better turntable than what I planned to buy. Otherwise, I would have bought the 10s or 12s. This was back in 1979. You won't burn in hell because you prefer the 10s in your room.



I hope my last sentence is not in violation of forum rules about posting about religion. ;)
 
I think it might be that there is a difference of the tweeters in the two. Some monitor series had the SL-2000 tweeter and can be harsh, I didn't mind it too much but did the upgrade to the RDO-194. Polk made an updated tweeter to correct that issue. If you post which model of the 7's and 10's you have, we could tell you. There could also be something wrong with the 7's, I've never heard the 10's but the 7's sounded great. Also I've recapped a lot of speakers and I noticed the biggest difference in the 7's.
 
Not heresy at all enjoy your 10s!

IF YOU HAVE SL2000s - like @bryblob says it may be worth replacing those SL2000s with RDO-194.

IF YOU HAVE SL3000s - replacements are RDO-198.
 
Last edited:
Update: I picked up a pair of the Monitor 7 replacement "reproduction" tweeters on eBay, those seem to be well-regarded.

Sticking with the 10s for now. Though new problem is that the Ortofon 2M Blue I just bought to try and "fill" the space better is way too trebly and requires a major EQ cut, which is annoying. Still.. things seem okay. For now!
 
Update: I picked up a pair of the Monitor 7 replacement "reproduction" tweeters on eBay, those seem to be well-regarded.

Sticking with the 10s for now. Though new problem is that the Ortofon 2M Blue I just bought to try and "fill" the space better is way too trebly and requires a major EQ cut, which is annoying. Still.. things seem okay. For now!

Your 7's came with the SL2500 tweeter. The Polk RD0198 is the only proper replacement, so hopefully that is what you bought. If not, send them back.

The issue with the 10's are the side by side drivers. Since they are playing the same frequencies the sound is smeared. Polk addressed that issue with the Monitor 11 and 12 by restricting the frequency range of one driver.
 
I really liked the Monitor 7's with the Peerless tweeters I had years ago. I have a pair of Monitor 10s right now, and they are nice. I think I preferred the 7s though. However these do sound quite good with the Kenwood KA-8006 as shown in the picture.Might be the tweeter in the 10s, or a difference in the amps I used.

IMG_3574.JPG
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 3
I have a pair of Monitor 7b's with Peerless tweeters. And a pair of Monitor 10's with SL2000 tweeters. And although I never listen to either pair much anymore. I always preferred the 7b's. Much smoother tweeter and much much better imaging than the 10's. That said, if you like the 10's, you would like the Monitor 11's way more. They are sorta on the rare side from my experience though.
 
I own a pair of the Monitor 7b with Peerless tweeters that I bought new in ‘78. I also have the original Polk stands. A number of years ago I rebuilt the crossovers and they do sound very nice. I have not used them in my primary system for many years and they really do need to find a new home where they can share the music...
 
Back
Top Bottom