• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Polk Monitor 40 series II. Any thoughts?

Fuzzbuster

Addicted Member
Hi all. Thinking about a pair of these for my living room listening rig. They get some good reviews but it's hard to trust audio sites sometimes. Like they're being told what to say by the manufacturer. They can be bought direct from Polk for $99 shipped right now. I'm using Kef Q-10s right now. Any thoughts?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a pair of Polk Monitor 40s... but unused at this time. They are pretty good and put out pretty good bass with those two 5.25" woofers in each speaker.

They look great. The positive reviews you have read are correct... at least from my point of view. And $99 shipped is a good price. I don't think you will be sorry.

I discovered open baffles in the last year or so and am running them now for all my speakers.
 
I populated my home theater with 3 pairs of these once. Well they were the series 1, but the only difference is the series 1 has a silver baffle and the series 2 is black.

They're nice little speakers. Open and airy sounding. Bigger sound than you would expect. I preferred them to the Monitor 50 which is the floorstander with the same components.

They like power. I had them hooked up to a Denon HT receiver and I thought they sounded OK, but when I upgraded that system with separate power amps they really came alive.

You won't get a ton of bass but I expect you already understand that if you're looking at a speaker this size. Still, I doubt you'll find anything better for $100.
 
Had a pair of those for 6-7 years largely as primary L/R for home theater setup, sold em last summer for $35 in a garage sale. Was never really hot for them, bought because of price point. Still have the center channel CS1. Might work fine for your space, I just know I'm looking elsewhere after having them (currently they're replaced with homemade Frankenspeakers, so can't offer a new-buy rec off that).

Edit: reading RoboTurner's post, it may be that they do like power, and I ran them with a rather modest H/K AVR which didn't push much juice. Maybe that's it? Dunno, only sure they're gone now.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom