• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Polk SDA-SRS

neophyte

New Member
I like vintage speakers and I am thinking of buying some nice condition Polk SDA SRS speakers. Are these very good or should I look for something else? Would 7 hundred be too much to pay? Sorry I am really in the dark here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm not familiar with the Polks so can't comment on them. I like the big vintage Infinities: Quantum 2's or 3's, Renaissance 80's or 90's, and pretty much the entire RS series. Yamaha NS-1000's or NS-1000M's are also excellent speakers.

Good luck!
 
The SDA SRS+ sold for $900 pair in 89, so if that is the older model, that is wayyyyyyyyy to expensive. I try to buy from 20 to 30% of orig retail so I can at least get my money back out of them if needed.
 
The SDA SRS were Polk's top stereo speakers until it got replaced by the SDA SRS 1.2, then the 1.2TL. I've only ever owned the 1.2TL, and they are really a fantastic speaker. Very big, but really really nice. Some may say it dosen't have the detail of the B&W's or Thiels, but they also don't cost as much, and for the money, I think they're a great investment. The only speakers which better the 1.2TLs have been the Sonus Faber Amati Homage and Thiel 7.2. But both are WAY more expensive.

I believe the 1.2TL's sold in 89/90 for about $3500USD, and now selling for about the same! This alone should tell you how good they are. Go to Polk Audio's website then to their forums. You'll find many collectors of the SDA series there who are very knowleagable there.
 
If these are the flagship SDA-SRS's (5'-3" tall) they're definitely worth $700+. EXCELLENT speakers. Have enjoyed mine since new in '89. They're rated at 1000 wpc and enjoy every watt! :)
 
I agree. If they are the original SRS, then $700 is a steal and I'd be on them like white on rice! You can do some modifications to them (i.e. updating crossovers, tweeters maybe, etc) and they would be outstanding. But, in stock form, they are no slouches. I have a pair of SDA 1C's currently and am always on the lookout for the larger ones. They just never seem to pop up around my area.

Go get 'em if you haven't already!
 
The SDA SRS+ sold for $900 pair in 89, so if that is the older model, that is wayyyyyyyyy to expensive. I try to buy from 20 to 30% of orig retail so I can at least get my money back out of them if needed.

The original SDA SRS of which the OP is referring to, sold for $3000 a pair from 1985 to 1988.



Retro
 
yea, I love to buy some sda-sra too. I wanted these in 1980s but I was getting into college and dead broke. Now I can scrape up the money but finding them is the problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom