• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Polk, shifted magnet question.

mibag6

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked up a pair of Polk 5JRs today one of the midwoofers suffering from a locked up voicecoil/cone. My question is: If the magnet has shifted will the magnet or pole piece be loose and therefore easily removed or is it possible for the glue to still adhere while allowing things to shift? Like it sagged over time but didn't completely break the seal.
TIA
 
Register to hide this ad
every one I've seen the pole-piece has still been centered on the magnet , its the magnet to basket where the shift happens , locking the voice-coil. the weight of magnet and pole-piece breaks the old , weakened glue when the speaker is jostled to hard. .
 
the pole-piece will separate from the magnet without much effort . be sure to mark on magnet which side goes to the basket and which side for the pole-piece10-04-2018 3.JPG
 
Magnet to pole piece glue may be strong; magnet to frame glue likely broke.

You can probably remove it with your bare hands, but be careful. Voice coils can easily die when removing the magnet/pole piece w/out care.
 
Magnet to pole piece glue may be strong; magnet to frame glue likely broke.

You can probably remove it with your bare hands, but be careful. Voice coils can easily die when removing the magnet/pole piece w/out care.

You were right about the magnet to frame glue giving out. Is it necessary to separate the pole piece from the magnet too or can realignment be done with the current arrangement?
 
You were right about the magnet to frame glue giving out. Is it necessary to separate the pole piece from the magnet too or can realignment be done with the current arrangement?

Re-centering is done w/ the magnet & pole piece attached as an assembly. If the magnet can move independently of the pole piece, it'll be impossible to re-center.
 
One of the 6.5’s from my RTA12c’s had this problem. I think I paid $40 to get it fixed by a pro here in Ohio. I’m not exactly sure what he specifically charged for this repair because I actually was getting 3 things worked on and I only remember the total for everything. The company is Orban Audio in Canton, Ohio. Guys name is Mike and he does great work for fair prices. He has a website. I know you can ship speakers to him also.
 
One of the 6.5’s from my RTA12c’s had this problem. I think I paid $40 to get it fixed by a pro here in Ohio. I’m not exactly sure what he specifically charged for this repair because I actually was getting 3 things worked on and I only remember the total for everything. The company is Orban Audio in Canton, Ohio. Guys name is Mike and he does great work for fair prices. He has a website. I know you can ship speakers to him also.
If this post is not allowed, I apologize and let me know and I’ll be sure to remove it. I have no affiliation with this company, just know he does great work and has always been reliable.
 
Go on the Polk forum, in the vintage speaker section. There are some good examples of how to repair this.
There is a guy there who has a jig to repair this, and offers a free service.
Worth a look.

Monkey Relish
 
That's me. :) (And one or two others!)
Common with vintage polk ,the other one could go soon. Likely The surround is aging also ,Newer woffers can be better, madisound has a beautiful cast frame 6.5 right now $22.00 , make sure your flange numbers line up. Reglueing a slipped magnet is no joke.
 
Last edited:
Reglued one from a pair of Monitor 7s. Real pain in the ass, took about four hours to get right.
getting them glued and aligned was easy , it was making the jig and figuring out the best way to use it that took some time.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom