• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Poll: Best sounding TOTL receiver

PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE VOTING

  • Luxman R-117

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Concept 16.5

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • NAD 7600

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pioneer SX-1250

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Marantz 23xx or 2500, 2600

    Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Yamaha CR-2020 or 3020

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • other

    Votes: 15 37.5%

  • Total voters
    40

theblackknight

Mikes off! No recording!
coming soon will be a poll of all the receivers that have been debated for sounding the best--The poll will be short, I will ONLY include a few models that people say just outsound the others. If you have not heard them all, please do not vote.

Many have said that receivers like the Rotel RX-1603 and Pioneer SX-1980 etc., as AWESOME and well built as they are, are just not the best sounding ones. If you have heard the ones listed and think that another one sounds better, please vote in the 'other' place.

I will not vote as I have not heard them all. The list is based off what many people here debate to sound the best.

EDIT: please specify if you vote in the other category.
 
Register to hide this ad
I cannot vote either, as I have only critically listened to about half of them. It will be interesting to see how many AK'ers consider themselves to meet the criteria of having listened to them all in a manner enabling them to decide on a clear winner.

Good thing the Sansui folks have their own forum - that way they will never know that none of their amps were chosen to be included in the poll!:D
 
Njord Noatun said:
I cannot vote either, as I have only critically listened to about half of them. It will be interesting to see how many AK'ers consider themselves to meet the criteria of having listened to them all in a manner enabling them to decide on a clear winner.

Good think the Sansui folks have their own forum - that way they will never know that none of their amps were chosen to be included in the poll!:D
OOps. probably shouldve included the G-9000. If Morden2004 sees it he can fix it.

I would not include the G33000 though. Many say the g9k outproforms it.

BTW, check your AK message box, Sigurd.:yes: Is it full or something?:scratch2:
 
Can not vote either. No:
Marantz 18
Marantz 19
Sony STR 6200
Sony STR 6120
Philips 797
McIntosh 4300
McIntosh 4100
McIntosh 1900
McIntosh 1700
Fisher 400-C
Sherwood 8000
Sherwood SEL-200
Citation Receiver
Stereotech 1200
Fisher 500TX, 500, 500T, 700, 800T
Scott 399, 340
Fisher 600T
Sherwood S8910
Lafayette LR1500TX
Onkyo TX666

I think I'll stop now and I hope you get the drift.
 
Brian said:
Can not vote either. No:
Marantz 18
Marantz 19
Sony STR 6200
Sony STR 6120
Philips 797
McIntosh 4300
McIntosh 4100
McIntosh 1900
McIntosh 1700
Fisher 400-C
Sherwood 8000
Sherwood SEL-200
Citation Receiver
Stereotech 1200
Fisher 500TX, 500, 500T, 700, 800T
Scott 399, 340
Fisher 600T
Sherwood S8910
Lafayette LR1500TX
Onkyo TX666

I think I'll stop now and I hope you get the drift.
OOH. WOW. I did miss a lot. I really should have added the marantz 19, the hk citation, and the MAC 4100. I cannot believe I forgot these 3.:sigh: :no: (the is a thread in VSS, not tube so the tube ones dont count. sry.)

Im sorry everyone. My polls of late have really sucked. I always forget stuff.
 
theblackknight said:
Im sorry everyone. My polls of late have really sucked. I always forget stuff.
No worries. We're all just having fun. Just don't forget Sansui next time.
 
Was not trying to make you feel bad just pointing out that there were so many great receivers during roughly a 12 year period that any poll would have shortcomings. While you mention the Marantz 19 as having been missed, I think the 18 is the better of the 2. The MAC4100 I think is the best of the Mc recievers as well. I've not heard the Citation but would offer the SEL-200 as an alternative. The Stereotech should be there as it was the TOTL and an excellent unit as well as being the only unit from the series. Also, TOTL from the company was the KLH 27 as it was their only receiver at the time and later units were not as good in design and construction.
 
Henry: as others have noted, there are lots of TOTL that you missed but we are having fun so I voted for the 16.5. I've heard nearly all the receivers on your list with the exception of the 2600 and the 3020. The 2600 is essentially a juiced up 2500 so I think I have that one covered. In your group, the CR-2020 is underpowered and perhaps doesn't belong in your poll. And, the 7600 was built to a price point so it is not one of my favorites.
 
Can't remember if I've posted here, but my vote is for the Concept 16.5.
Second place for the Sansui G-9700 that sounded very Yamaha-like and with 200 wpc. Just not as robust as the earlier G-9000.
The JVC JR-S501 is a great-sounding receiver too, and much stronger than its 120 wpc rating.
 
Im very surprised that many voted for the pioneer sx1250. My have said it sounds too bright for them.

And yes, I forgot sony too.:sigh:

Im also very surprised that no ones voted for the lux r117.:scratch2:
 
The R-117 is from a different era and has the dreaded black face. It is a great performer but not very collectable like my 16.5.
 
SoCal Sam said:
The R-117 is from a different era and has the dreaded black face. It is a great performer but not very collectable like my 16.5.
This poll is based on sound quality alone, not looks or worth.

Regards, Henry:thmbsp:
 
theblackknight said:
Im very surprised that many voted for the pioneer sx1250. My have said it sounds too bright for them.

And yes, I forgot sony too.:sigh:

Im also very surprised that no ones voted for the lux r117.:scratch2:

I voted for the R-117. Although I like the Marantz 2285B very much, until I get my MAC 4100 working, the R-117 is simply the best sounding unit that I own.
 
Back
Top Bottom