• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Poll: McIntosh main system value.

Your main McIntosh system, how much is it worth?

  • $1000 or less

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • $1000 to $3000

    Votes: 14 8.8%
  • $3000 to $6000

    Votes: 16 10.0%
  • $6000 to $10,000

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • $10,000 to $20,000

    Votes: 22 13.8%
  • $20,00 to $40,000

    Votes: 37 23.1%
  • $40,000 to $60,000

    Votes: 21 13.1%
  • $60,000 to $80,000

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • $80,000 to $100,000

    Votes: 7 4.4%
  • $100,000 to Masterlu

    Votes: 17 10.6%

  • Total voters
    160
  • Poll closed .
Hmmm - replacement cost is well into the $40-60K band. Good thing I didn't spend that much, although I've at least $10K more into the McIntosh system than I spent on a really nice car earlier this year.
 
Well gang, we are just three days into the "How Much Is Your Main McIntosh System Worth" poll. 128 people have responded as of right now. Using the middle number of each catagory as a base line for total dollars (except the $100,000 to Masterlu column, where I used $1,000,000 for one system, and $250,000 each for the remaining systems in that column), the current dollar total is running approximately $6,956,000.00.

We all realize the poll is totally unscientific, and the manner in which my total dollar figure is calculated might be a bit inaccurate, but none the less it is demonstrating the awsome financial commitment McIntosh forum members have made in the quest for superior home entertainment systems. 128 folks have invested almost $7 million. Absolutely amazing!

If you haven't voted yet, please do. I'll post a final dollar figure Tuesday night about midnight.
 
As a purchaser of second hand 20-25 year old Mac equipment, please don't tell me. I will just get depressed. The stuff listed below cost me $2,300 and my wife thinks I'm nuts. But I get as much pleasure replacing all the caps and rubbing out the rust on the chrome as listening to the music!
 
As a purchaser of second hand 20-25 year old Mac equipment, please don't tell me. I will just get depressed. The stuff listed below cost me $2,300 and my wife thinks I'm nuts. But I get as much pleasure replacing all the caps and rubbing out the rust on the chrome as listening to the music!

It really isn't about how much money.........it's about how much pleasure. It sounds to me like you are right where you want to be.........one happy Mac owner. There's at least another 25 years in your gear, maybe more. So keep on rubbing, keep on listening, and keep on truckin'. :thmbsp:
 
Doing some home inventory this afternoon for a spreadsheet, collecting serial numbers, determining values, etc., I started thinking about the value of my main McIntosh system. The system total would include full retail value of the electronics, speakers, turntable, cartridges, tape machines, interconnects, speaker cables, and rack. Only the main system, no second or third room systems, no CD's, records, tapes, etc. Just the main system.

It made me think a poll might be interesting, just to get an idea of the impact our purchases have made on the audio economy.

So here's the poll. How much is your main system worth?

I'll let it run for a week, then post the dollar total of all systems in the poll.

OOPS..........That's $20,000 to $40,000.........poll won't let me change it. Sorry.
I believe I will do the same thing in the morning with a second hurricane headed for the gulf. I just evacuated and moved all of my Mcintosh amps to a second floor closet. I'm moving all of my amps out of the New Orleans area this time in advance of the storm but will record everything. I took pictures of everything and e-mailed them to different e-mail accounts and to friends. My speakers were too heavy to move; translation if they flooded I'd have to buy new ones;).
 
As a purchaser of second hand 20-25 year old Mac equipment, please don't tell me. I will just get depressed. The stuff listed below cost me $2,300 and my wife thinks I'm nuts. But I get as much pleasure replacing all the caps and rubbing out the rust on the chrome as listening to the music!

When I replied I only added my Mc gear prices. Anyhow I would like to replace
my 6100 with a c33 or 34. Give my son the 6100 and get him started on the path of Mac. What do you guys think is the premier vintage pre?
 
The C33 is recognized as an excellent vintage McIntosh preamp. There were less than 4000 manufactured, so trying to find one, especially a premium one, might be difficult. A more recent preamp, the C40 is a fantastic performer. They are about 14 years old now, but offer modern features like balanced inputs and outputs, and stepped attenuation for volume control. Good luck, which ever way you go.
 
The C33 is recognized as an excellent vintage McIntosh preamp. There were less than 4000 manufactured, so trying to find one, especially a premium one, might be difficult. A more recent preamp, the C40 is a fantastic performer. They are about 14 years old now, but offer modern features like balanced inputs and outputs, and stepped attenuation for volume control. Good luck, which ever way you go.

Thanks. Its on my "to do list" so it may take a year or so.
 
My system isn't worth as much as some, but the money invested is only part of the story.

It's worth a million bucks in the listening department.

Since I got McIntosh my love of music has grown to totally insane levels.

Hearing the music you hear out of a McIntosh piece of equipment or a whole system of many McIntosh pieces of equipment is - priceless.
 
Hearing the music you hear out of a McIntosh piece of equipment or a whole system of many McIntosh pieces of equipment is - priceless.

I couldn't agree more. I feel the same way exactly. My system has never sounded better.

BTW. Chuck, how's the C2200 measuring up?
 
C33 and C40

The C33 is recognized as an excellent vintage McIntosh preamp. There were less than 4000 manufactured, so trying to find one, especially a premium one, might be difficult. A more recent preamp, the C40 is a fantastic performer. They are about 14 years old now, but offer modern features like balanced inputs and outputs, and stepped attenuation for volume control. Good luck, which ever way you go.

Dan,

As you know I have a C40 on my main system, and I love it. The C33 is still on my "must get" list...I presently have a C32 in my Florida room system, but would love to upgrade it to a C33. Then, I could move my C32 to my office system; at which time I would then "retire" my Crown IC150A.

Pete
 
Man, Pete.......A big Mac system in the living room, a Mac system in the Florida room, and another system (soon to be Mac it seems) in the office.

Geez........Pretty soon you are going to have to stop telling people you are poor. :yes:
 
There's about 26 hours left in the "How Much Is Your Main McIntosh System Worth" poll. Thanks to the 150 folks who have responded so far. I consider this a good turn out. Hopefully, any stragglers will step up before midnight tomorrow. The poll closes at that time. Shortly after that I will start a new thread with the dollar figure estimates by catagory and a grand total. It is already a substantial amount. No one can say the McIntosh Boys don't put their money where their mouth is. It has been very interesting so far. I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's totals.
 
Back
Top Bottom