• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Poor Man's Anti Cables

bigaltx24

Super Member
I was out in the garage last night foraging for materials for a small honey do job and listening to my garage system when I ran across some #12 solid wire. So being the type that can't pass up the chance to mess with a stereo, I grab some wire cutters and electrical tape, and in no time I have new speaker cables to play with. I pulled the #14 lamp cord I was running between the MCS 3837 amp and 8237 speakers and put in the solid wire. After listening to a couple of CDs, I am pretty impressed. The low end is a touch tighter and has better impact, the mids and highs are a little smoother, but the biggest difference was in the soundstage. It is very focused and doesn't float around the way it used to. I'll need to do some more listening today, screw the honey do job, but I think I might be on to something here.
 
Register to hide this ad
Most of the battle is big enough gauge of wire to prevent reducing the damping factor to the speakers. Most of the rest is reptile drippings...
 
:scratch2: Is this my chance to make my own anti-cables?!:yes:One question,how bout insulation if any?
 
next step is to twist tehm together, that is if they arent romex. easiest way is to find a nail sticking out and with plierstwist them together...makes for a very stiff wire though...:)
 
I don't know if this qualifies as anti-cable, but it's cable not meant for audio use, looks ridiculous, has yellow jacket and was free. It's 8 gauge. Whoop!
I've also come close to getting out the 12ga solid I have and trying it.

I now have it hooked up and uh, not sure yet of the changes. There does appear to be some difference tho. Maybe just the placebo effect.
attachment.php
 
next step is to twist tehm together, that is if they arent romex. easiest way is to find a nail sticking out and with plierstwist them together...makes for a very stiff wire though...:)

Put one end of your wires in a bench vise. Insert the other ends into your drill chuck and tighten. You know where this is going...
 
I said what i said because they are the only things i had available, poor mans version if you will:D A drill and bench vice would be much quicker...havent used my twisted pair in a while. I think its time to yank em out of where ever they are and use em.
 
I said what i said because they are the only things i had available, poor mans version if you will:D A drill and bench vice would be much quicker...havent used my twisted pair in a while. I think its time to yank em out of where ever they are and use em.

There you go! :banana::banana::banana: sounds good to me~!
 
To my ears solid core have always presented a more focused imaging and soundstage. My AntiCables have an enameled coating which is very thin. Since there is minimal insulation there is no negative effects from plastic insulations and no covers are needed. I do prefer my AntiCables untwisted.
 
I don't know if this qualifies as anti-cable, but it's cable not meant for audio use, looks ridiculous, has yellow jacket and was free. It's 8 gauge. Whoop!
I've also come close to getting out the 12ga solid I have and trying it.

I now have it hooked up and uh, not sure yet of the changes. There does appear to be some difference tho. Maybe just the placebo effect.
attachment.php
Far from ridiculous. Looks groovy to me. All those strands of wire make them perfect for audio use. Much better than the speaker cable pictured.
 
I thought about twisting them but figured that was to much work. I just taped them together. They are not as bad to route as I thought they would be. I've put about another three hours on them today and I'm really liking what I'm hearing.
 
Solid man

After listening to a couple of CDs, I am pretty impressed. The low end is a touch tighter and has better impact, the mids and highs are a little smoother, but the biggest difference was in the soundstage. It is very focused and doesn't float around the way it used to. I'll need to do some more listening today, screw the honey do job, but I think I might be on to something here.

You are on to something :yes: Years ago I did the same thing with some 12ga Romex. Then I tried some 15ga unwound from an inductor. Lost the teeniest amount of bass but the mids, the highs and the soundstage improved more. :thmbsp:
 
To my ears solid core have always presented a more focused imaging and soundstage. My AntiCables have an enameled coating which is very thin. Since there is minimal insulation there is no negative effects from plastic insulations and no covers are needed. I do prefer my AntiCables untwisted.
What are the negative effects of plastic insulation?
 
Back
Top Bottom