• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Poor mans audiophile journey.

It seem that you got the gist of what I was trying to convey.
Some read my post and link take it as a personal attack, which was not my intent. It was more of a plea for knowledge, wisdom and understanding. Like I said, “ I talk too much!” I’ll try to be less outspoken or political in future post.

I get the gist. I think your choice of url worked against you and was the opposite to what your intent was. You've already gone through the effort of explaining yourself more than once. Good for you.

One has to tread carefully when trying to extrapolate from one's POV and apply it to more than yourself. The writer of that url was making unfounded allegations and branding all pretty much the same. By the same token, some of your words might have been better chosen with this in mind. A few of your words/sentences have been held up to scrutiny, thinking you meant just the opposite of what your original intent was.

I made the same mistake while a complete newbie, and had my head taken off. I asked, "How can one justify...?" The key word that was taken out of context..."justify". I should have asked the question differently! Once I realized that my intent of the thread could be misinterpreted, it was too late! I had a heck of a time trying to get across my true intention. What I really wanted to know about was "manufacturing" ! As a result of my wording many accused me of attacking the American way of life, speaking for others less/more fortunate, etc. etc. In other words they thought I going against and speaking for others' life styles/levels of living.

When some think someone is speaking for them, the hackles/red flags go up, as all have a different takes on how others should act...and the political "fangs" come out.

With the number of "likes" compared to the number of "shares" you've attained...I think you're more than on target.:thumbsup:

Q
 
Last edited:
I never mistook the OPs true points ,I just hated the mush spine who wrote the article ,as for the thread topic I saw no problem ,we all start out with poor man's gear ,it's a way of life ,you'll love it !

Zappa fans will understand that last comment ,on the bus....


You are not alone in this POV. Think about it. Some journalists want to be singled out from the rest of the pack. And, they will go to all lengths to get this recognition.

Q
 
All you need right here:
44316275090_1ae9750dd4_z_d.jpg
 
Last night was music night. Christine and I listened for hours and were fully immersed in the joy of music. The system sounds great, but that wasn't what this session was about. We weren't listening critically, tethered to a sweet spot, nor were we assessing sound quality. She danced with Jumper, and I was the DJ, picking out songs and often singing along with gusto. Country, jazz, rock, vocal stylists, classical, film orchestration, bluegrass, and other genres were all represented.

We laughed. We sang. We danced. The boob tube off, the music filling our home. Celebrating being alive, and in good enough health to enjoy the evening of song. Not obsessing over the quality of the recordings, or of the formats, either. Just doing with the gear what the gear is made to do. We had fun!

That is how this works best, imo. May your joy of music be full.
I love that story!
 
All that was needed To repair the Oppo was a little alcohol and q-tips to gently clean both optical lenses and a very small amount of white lithium grease on the two laser transport rails. The Oppo BDP-83 now Plays everything from CDs to Blu-Ray without a hiccup. I have even figured out how to stream FLAC lossless music files from multiple PCs using a UpNP.
This is what I want to do. I will be saving for such a machine. Seems more sensible than a separate DAC, when I can use a good one in the used OPPO.
 
Lossless, I understood the intent of your thread upon the first reading. I’ve looked it over a few times now after all of the hoopla. You didn’t call anyone specific out with your thoughts and comments. The fact that some took it that way says much more about them than it does about you. Happy listening!
 
I got the impression the journalist was trying to figure out how to get more people involved.



I thought this on the onset, but after reading intently several times Darko's sharing of stats/POV's/premises I see this feature story and its intent as yet another form of advertising. Mind you a "slick" one. I agree he does "involve", but not for all.

The writer throws out all these stats "1%" vs the "99%, at the start wherein he tries the divide and conquer method. He does this with his stats, sales of records and the devices used. Yet, when he uses that all critical "we" at the start, I wondered if he meant the vint crowd as including himself, or both? Then for the rest of his report he's now on the 99% side who know nothing or next to nothing about good sound. In this he makes critical comments about the sad state of bluetooth and the devices of the youth. However, BT has come strides in the past five years with lossless transmission formats, esp Sony with its LDAC and the high ender speakers now available.

As he goes along with his different viewpoints, throwing the support of certain well known sound "experts" to validate his truths, the author makes no attempt to relate wherein he sourced his information base, except for the sampling in three rooms with carefully selected gear to drive home his beliefs. If you know about sampling, the larger it is, the more valid/reliable are the results. Check the number who took part....and their biases being employees?

Allegations are made for the basement buys for doing a great job, but doesn't a $699 TT creep into the picture?

Sorry, I just see this as an elaborate spiel in order to get the word out about what to buy and from whom.

I could be wrong. They might just want to educate the uninformed.:rolleyes: And they did do a great job of alienating the people in the audiophile hobby.

Ya think?

Q
 
Last edited:
All that was needed To repair the Oppo was a little alcohol and q-tips to gently clean both optical lenses and a very small amount of white lithium grease on the two laser transport rails. The Oppo BDP-83 now Plays everything from CDs to Blu-Ray without a hiccup. I have even figured out how to stream FLAC lossless music files from multiple PCs using a UpNP.
Hey does your Oppo have the ability to run Hulu?
 
I had to go back to reread the OP to try and understand why this thread has generated so much heat. I still don't get the reactions.The guy just is celebrating his good deals and hopes that everyone, regardless of income, race, colour and creed can enjoy good music. Seems like an uncontentious thing to state and pretty timely to do on MLK Day. As far as celebrating his good deals, it happens several times a day on the Dollars and Sense forum without anyone clutching their pearls in horror.
It's just the usual suspects doing what they do. Too often.
 
Hey does your Oppo have the ability to run Hulu?
No Hulu as of yet, I'm working on getting it to stream Tidal Hi-Fi which has been a challenge. I been using a UPnP to stream lossless FLAC and I have not ventured into video streaming because I use the player mostly for music. If anyone has any clue how to stream Tidal via UPnP to Oppo BDP-83 PLEASE share.
 
As I write this now, I think I will try to keep it more simple. I have an XBox that can stream Hulu for video, as my older Sony Blu Ray does not offer the newer app. And I can just find a better player for discs when I am ready for that. One thing holding me back from just buying new is I need analog outputs to RCA inputs for my separates, and receivers.
 
Back
Top Bottom