• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Popping sounds after replacing an op-amp in a YAMAHA AX-870

BijanK

New Member
I guess I need some help with this.

I have a YAMAHA AX-870 on the bench whose right channel was significantly quieter than the left. I have traced the fault back to a defective right-channel op-amp on the volume control board (NJM2068SD). As the component is rare, a Chinese import was the only option. However, it came from a reputable dealer and looks perfectly alright (both brand-name JRC). After the replacement, the sound is now flawless on both sides; the sound quality is superb.

But: when switching off the device using the power button on the front, there is now a loud ‘popping’ sound—so loud that I was worried about my speakers (but only on the left channel). In addition, the ‘Pure Direct’ switch (bypassing tone control) could no longer be used: after pressing it, the protection circuit was activated and the relay clicked repeatedly.

I considered some faulty soldering or missing ground and reflowed the left-channel op-amp. Result: problems still there and now the left channel is completely gone. Huh?!

I then replaced the left-channel op-amp again with a third chip. Now the sound is great again on both channels. ‘Pure Direct’ is available again with no relay action. The 'popping' on shut-down is still there, but much less pronounced.

What am I seeing here? A defective part? A fake part, maybe?
 

Attachments

  • 36-FQpchl-ybb.jpg
    36-FQpchl-ybb.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 6
Register to hide this ad
NJM2068 is still in production as a 8-pin SIP where as the ones you have NJM2068SD are in the older 9-pin SIP have an extra redundant power supply pin
On the popping, does this unit not mute audio with the speaker relay during power on and off? Usually the popping is from the power amplifier. Check it’s dc offset?
When you changed the opamp did you check the outputs for DC level? The outputs a AC coupled anyways
 
Last edited:
I wasnˋt aware of the repleacability of the 8 and 9-pin versions at the time of ordering.

I did not check the outputs for DC level. Do you mean at the speaker outputs? I guess this is somewhat beyond my pay grade. Where would I have to make adjustments? I did not spot any adjustable pots on this amp anywhere aside from idle current.
 
Update: I can add that the popping sound simply disappeared after about 1-2 days of use of the amp without any further tinkering.
 
Back
Top Bottom