• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Power amp dilemma, M 80 vs PCR 800?

I recently picked up a pair of Yamaha M 80 power amps that are most impressive. As you may know, I currently run a pair of bridged Soundcraftsmen PCR 800's which equal 600 wpc of sweet MOSFET power. The Yamaha's are also very nice and unique in their own way and the equal of the PCR 800's from a power output perspective.

So...I can't keep them both and I'm looking for opinions. Also, is there an easy way to bridge the Yamaha's? I currently bridge the PCR 800's with the Soundcraftsmen AB 1 bridging adapter but I'm looking for other options.

Thanks guys !
 
Register to hide this ad
What a tough choice.
I have the M-80, PA5001, & a pair of PCR800.
Although the PCR800 are out of the rotation right now, I think they would be the ones I would keep if I could only have one stereo.
About the M-80: the matching C-80 preamp has provision for bridging. The M-80 is rated at over 800 watts into 2 ohms, and tested at over 1000 watts. You should be able to bridge a pair without worry. Don't know what the bridged output would be, but over 500 watts at least.
 
Figured I'd update this old thread and offer up some info on my decision. I compared both amps many times over the course of these months and I've decided to keep the Yamaha's and the Soundcraftsman are now history. I really hated to part with the PCR 800's, but the bottom line was precision and accurate sound reproduction, and the Yamaha's clearly won that comparo. Follow that up by checking the DC offset and the deal was done.

I would strongly advise anyone with a PCR 800 to check the DC offset…you might be shocked, I was.
 
How did you end up bridging the M-80's? I use a C-80 in front of mine and the whole setup behind my HT receiver as the mains, with JBL 250Ti's and/or L112's, in my 2-channel/HT setup and I couldn't be happier.

I'm always on the lookout for another M-4 or M-70 on the cheap to bridge with the second C-80 I have sitting.

FWIW, I'm currently running a pair of Rotel RB-980BX bridged in my office with another set of L112's, and although they're a solid performer at 360WPC bridged, they're harsher than the Yamaha's, precise to an unnatural and edgy degree, not as warm or smooth as any of the Yami's.
 
How did you end up bridging the M-80's? I use a C-80 in front of mine and the whole setup behind my HT receiver as the mains, with JBL 250Ti's and/or L112's, in my 2-channel/HT setup and I couldn't be happier.

I'm always on the lookout for another M-4 or M-70 on the cheap to bridge with the second C-80 I have sitting.

FWIW, I'm currently running a pair of Rotel RB-980BX bridged in my office with another set of L112's, and although they're a solid performer at 360WPC bridged, they're harsher than the Yamaha's, precise to an unnatural and edgy degree, not as warm or smooth as any of the Yami's.

I run an Adcom GTP 550 as the front end pre-tuner (with a pair of M-80's space is a premium for this system), mostly for the remote but the Adcom is a solid performer. I still use the AB-1 Soundcraftsmen bridging adapter with the Yammies. The damping factor of 250 into 8 ohms with the M-80 is hard to beat.

My HT system is completely separate and nothing spectacular, however for DVD concerts I run the Adcom/M-80 as the front, which certainly approaches live concert SPL's. Ask my neighbors...
 
What sort of offset would shock me? I have checked mine and seem to recall
one channel around 60.
There is no adjustable offset, you need to replace components.
 
Soundcraftsmn what are you running for speakers? Can the speakers and your ears handle the power?

I have several larger speakers that can handle what I can throw at them...I have a pair of Infinity RS II B's that like a lot of clean power and the EMIT tweeters need it clean or they are done. These are awesome speakers when properly fed. I also run a stacked pair of JBL L 250Ti (not stacked, but you get the idea) that can suck up lots of power. Can my ears take it? Let's just say I'm not sitting right in front of these and the volume rarely goes past 5, however I can tell the difference at merely loud levels when I'm only running one amp, so while not essential, its more of a preference.


What sort of offset would shock me? I have checked mine and seem to recall
one channel around 60.
There is no adjustable offset, you need to replace components.


Consider that DC offset should be zero and your measurement of 60 mV is SIXTY TIMES the spec for this measurement and the distortion at that level is relavent and audible, especially at low level. If you haven’t read EW's excellent post on the subject, it is required reading.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5634

My two PCR 800's ranged from 68-260 mV, and yes, the only repair is to replace the driver pair with matched components, however we are also talking about 20+ year old amps that should have the smaller electrolytic's and a few other components replaced if you are going to “lift the hood”. That prospect did not sit well with me when I had a pair of M-80’s that measured .03 MV or better and were in excellent condition. Don’t get me wrong the PCR 800’s are great little amps and when up to spec, outstanding. But even new, the build quality doesn’t come close to the M -80’s.
 
Consider that DC offset should be zero and your measurement of 60 mV is SIXTY TIMES the spec for this measurement and the distortion at that level is relavent and audible, especially at low level. If you haven’t read EW's excellent post on the subject, it is required reading.
I agree on the level of work req. if one were to open up the pcr-800,s.
I don,t recall if the m-80,s are a mosfet output or not.
If the are not, can you sense a harsher edge to the M-80,s
 
No, the M-80 is not a MOSFET amp. An absolutely superb amp and probably the very best value for excellent sound available today--new or used amps included.
I miss my M-80, but the Carver Pro ZR1600 more than makes up for it.
For $400-500 the M-80 just can't be beat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. BTW, I do still have the M-70 and it, too, is an excellent performer at 200 wpc. I love my C-80 and CX-2 preamps, too.
Dangnabit, I really love Yamaha gear.
 
Back
Top Bottom