• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Power amp for new to me power hungry speakers

I don't think it's psychological.

I'm less convinced. I have to see an explanation that seems to make real sense of how more power makes a difference if not exhausting what already available. I'm presuming that's your point anyway?
 
Not sure anyone is trying to talk the OP out of a different amp. But, there have been several suggestions for more power which isn't the issue by the OP's acknowlegement.

The OP has confirmed the distortion/clipping indicators are not lighting up which confirms the basic issue is not related to power. If the amp was running out of either current capability or voltage swing those indicators would be lighting up, and they are not.
Maybe. Just maybe those clipping indicators are non functional or inaccurate.
 
I'm less convinced. I have to see an explanation that seems to make real sense of how more power makes a difference if not exhausting what already available. I'm presuming that's your point anyway?
Well, even varying damping factors can affect woofer performance. No substitute for more power for those transients you may not even be able to hear or measure.

I agree, the original "problem" was simply the volume control position, then the sound quality. I find different amps certainly sound different. That's why I own over a dozen and play with them, moving them in and out, all the time. Isn't that why this is called a "hobby"?
 
ok, location of the volume control has very little to do with how much headroom is left, don't use this as a measuring stick.

for instance, I have several Kenwood integrated amps here, the KA-4006 is rated 34watts, I have 3 of these sweet little amps. I also have a KA-7300 with about twice the rated output power, ive used both driving the same speakers in the bedroom.

To the uneducated it would seem the 4006 was waaaay more powerful as it's volume control taper had the speakers blasting at around the 9:00 position, the more powerful 7300 requires its volume control be at the 11:00 position for the same decibel level.

I actually prefer having the better control of the output that the 7300 provides than the 4006, but the 4006 probably impressed in the showroom lol. It is a sweet sounding amp so I give it a pass here, as I said, I have three.
 
Well, even varying damping factors can affect woofer performance. No substitute for more power for those transients you may not even be able to hear or measure.

I agree, the original "problem" was simply the volume control position, then the sound quality. I find different amps certainly sound different. That's why I own over a dozen and play with them, moving them in and out, all the time. Isn't that why this is called a "hobby"?

Oh, I don't even know offhand how many amps have in range of brands and power output. Lots, more than 20 I'm sure, LOL.

FWIW, here are some transients I recorded on a scope. Power is the left axis.

20201209_172749.jpg
 
It was track from Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring, but I don't remember specifically which track.

Not positive on the amp either, but I'm thinking it was a QSC 3500 (300wpc @ 8 ohms, +3dB headroom). I was playing around with a few different amps at that time on some Bose 901 VIs.
 
ok, location of the volume control has very little to do with how much headroom is left, don't use this as a measuring stick.

for instance, I have several Kenwood integrated amps here, the KA-4006 is rated 34watts, I have 3 of these sweet little amps. I also have a KA-7300 with about twice the rated output power, ive used both driving the same speakers in the bedroom.

To the uneducated it would seem the 4006 was waaaay more powerful as it's volume control taper had the speakers blasting at around the 9:00 position, the more powerful 7300 requires its volume control be at the 11:00 position for the same decibel level.

I actually prefer having the better control of the output that the 7300 provides than the 4006, but the 4006 probably impressed in the showroom lol. It is a sweet sounding amp so I give it a pass here, as I said, I have three.

I had a lower end Kenwood integrated at one point but I can’t remember the model. I liked it so now im poking around the internet for a KA 7300, 7100 or 9100! There is also a Model 500 on the bay in Canada… hmm…
 
Well, even varying damping factors can affect woofer
I had a lower end Kenwood integrated at one point but I can’t remember the model. I liked it so now im poking around the internet for a KA 7300, 7100 or 9100! There is also a Model 500 on the bay in Canada… hmm…

purchased a 7100 new in 78, very nice amp, missed it so about 7yrs ago I was looking to get another, actually pulled the trigger on one but canceled realizing I needed the pre outs on the 7300.
 
I'm listening to an NAD 7400 right now. It puts out 100 rated watts, and extends up with a lot of headroom and up in power with 4 ohm speakers. Not sure if your speakers are 4 ohms (think I saw 6 but wasn't sure it was the ones you have). Something from that era could provide the warmth you liked, but still has tight bass and good highs as well. And it has a lot of current so if your speakers drop into 4 ohm or lower territory it shouldn't break a sweat. I don't think it's the best of the NAD's, but it's the kind of thing you could fine and test to see if you like it relatively cheaply.

IIRC someone said that the Adcom gfa 535ii is paired best with more laid back speakers, so maybe it's also a pairing issue.

Don't know much about those speakers -- Want to hear what those speakers sound like when you get the amp you like!
 
Get a Bigger and Or Better amp....I wouldn’t let lights in the amp have any relevance on what you hear either.....more power/headroom......try it ......I’ll bet the ADS would appreciate it as well
 
Last edited:
If the lights aren't lighting up the op isn't using the amp headroom he has now. It couldn't be more clear.

Want a different amp, cool, get a different amp. But no need to use the excuse/justification headroom/power because that ain't the problem here.
 
Last edited:
???
Moving to an integrated seems like a step backward ... why do you need another preamp also ??
The fact that you're listening to a power amp implies that you have some kind of preamp already ..
Replacing with an integrated is a recipe for altering the sonics of your system and spending a lot to get there..
The same money always gets a higher quality straight power amp than an integrated ..
Gotta spend double for good integrateds and then you have to replace the whole thing to upgrade.

Seems to me that it's more cost effective and a better upgrade path just to purchase a more powerful power amp and give it a listen..
More headroom could equal better dynamics and a cleaner tighter bass especially with a less efficient speaker ..
There are a number of good used 100-200wpc power amps typically available on ebay at any given moment for $500 ..

And Adcom isn't necessarily the only choice ..
 
Last edited:
If the lights aren't lighting up the op isn't using the amp headroom he has now. It couldn't be more clear.

Want a different amp, cool, get a different amp. But no need to use the excuse/justification headroom/power because that ain't the problem here
 
Back
Top Bottom