• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Power Amp Repair - Bias Circuit - NPN Epitaxial Planar transistors

gprutchick

New Member
I am repairing power amps on a JVC FX515VTN. There are 2SD636 NPN Epitaxial Planar transistors used in the bias circuit. The bodies of these transistors have a hard white coating, looks like it could be paint. I am positive the coating is not thermal compound paste. I looked at an Onkyo power amp that that I keep around for parts. It also uses NPN Epitaxial Planar transistors (2SC1740S) in the bias circuits and these transistors are also coated in the same way.

What is this coating and what is its purpose? I assume it is some sort of thermal treatment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
 
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom