• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Power amp woes- Adcom, Rotel, Sumo Polaris? I need advice.

Alkeys

Active Member
Hey guys-

I need your advice on some 2ch solidstate power amps.

I tried out a 60wpc Rotel power amp from my local shop, I think it was the RB-970 with my NAD 1155 preamp.

I found the Rotel to be kind of edgy, harsh and etched. I noticed that while plenty loud, bass notes of like Moog Taurus pedals and things like that didn't make the hair on the back of my neck stand up like I like.

The shop also has some Adcom GFA stuff like the 555 and a Sumo Polaris.

I'm looking for something warm with authority. Does the Adcom GFA amps sound a lot different from the Rotels? Is the Sumo Polaris in another category all together or will it sound worse? What are your guys thoughts? Are the Rotel and the Adcom the same type of sound or are they apples and oranges? How would you describe them?

Greatfull for all your responses, Al
 
Register to hide this ad
Adcom is definitely authoritative (especially in the bass) but not "warm" sounding at all. My experience with Adcom amps places them pretty dang close to neutral sounding with a very slight leaning towards analytical.

Can't judge the other two brands at all.
 
Adcom is definitely authoritative (especially in the bass) but not "warm" sounding at all. My experience with Adcom amps places them pretty dang close to neutral sounding with a very slight leaning towards analytical.

Can't judge the other two brands at all.

Agreed with the above. I don't know if I would personally go as far as analytical (though now that you mention it, I will keep an ear out for it). But incredibly neutral. Either way, I'm a fan. So, so many user reviews I've seen online also much mention how neutral these amps are. Can't comment on the other brands, unfortunately.

What kind of speakers are you thinking about using?
 
Last edited:
I am using Energy C-2's.

I used to own a pair of Tannoy Mercury MX3s.
The setup I used to have that I was happy with was:
Tannoy Mercury MX3s with a Nakamichi TA-4A as the power amp and an NAD 1155 as a preamp.

Because of moving etc... I got rid of the Tannoy Mercury MX3s and the Nakamichi about 5 yrs ago.

I still own the 1155.

I guess if I wanted the Nak power amp with my NAD 1155 combo I used to have I'd have to get the Nak PA-5 or PA-7 but they tend to be kinda pricey. I was hoping not to spend more than $350 on a used amp.

I definitely think that although my Energy C-2's image very well, because of the metal tweeter they might be a tad bright. I know that my Luxman LV80 sounded bright on them.

What I really need to do is go back to Tannoys with a paper tweeter and go from there. I hear the newer Tannoy Mercury M4s are not as nice as the older series. I guess I'll have to scour ebay for some old Tannoys.
 
Back
Top Bottom