• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Power Amps...are all relatively the same $$ to fix?

loudsubz

Canuck eh!
..or are some alot more pricier for certain components?

Basically what I'm asking is, if I buy a power amp, do certain units have very pricy components because they may have little or no more support for them and prices on parts hard to find, versus some other amps that may be cheaper to fix if something breaks because of the parts used inside are relaitvely easy to get ahold of?

I was thinking of soundcraftsman but have heard its hard to find some parts so it got me wondering, since most of the amps are fairly older.
 
Register to hide this ad
Alas, the answer is yes. Some amplifiers use components that are no longer available, and it can be difficult to find suitable replacements. Other amplifiers used more expensive components, and more of them, so are more expensive to fix for that reason. Still others have unusual enough circuitry that not every repair shop can handle them, and guess what? -- the shops that specialise in high end stuff are not usually the least expensive.
 
Some amps (and receivers for that matter) are heart-stopping expensive to fix. Outputs for stuff like a KR-9600, SX-1980 and VFET amps are next to impossible to find. Other amps use old Toshiba devices which haven't been made in years (except by counterfeiters) which fortunately can be replaced by modern devices from OnSemi with few serious problems (and at a reasonable price too!)

Smart of you to consider this angle before amp shopping. I'm somewhat paranoid about parts sources drying up and I've sold off some nice gear because I didn't want to deal with trying to find replacements. This was a big factor in my purchase & restoration of my Kenwood 700m (after consulting Echowars of course...) All parts were readily available except for the main filter caps (which usually don't need replacement)

What sort of dough do you have to spend on an amp? If you want big power, you might want to look into a Dynaco 400. Not the greatest sounding amp but from what I understand replacement parts are easy to find.
 
gonzothegreat said:
Some amps (and receivers for that matter) are heart-stopping expensive to fix. Outputs for stuff like a KR-9600, SX-1980 and VFET amps are next to impossible to find. Other amps use old Toshiba devices which haven't been made in years (except by counterfeiters) which fortunately can be replaced by modern devices from OnSemi with few serious problems (and at a reasonable price too!)

Smart of you to consider this angle before amp shopping. I'm somewhat paranoid about parts sources drying up and I've sold off some nice gear because I didn't want to deal with trying to find replacements. This was a big factor in my purchase & restoration of my Kenwood 700m (after consulting Echowars of course...) All parts were readily available except for the main filter caps (which usually don't need replacement)

What sort of dough do you have to spend on an amp? If you want big power, you might want to look into a Dynaco 400. Not the greatest sounding amp but from what I understand replacement parts are easy to find.

Money is somewhat limited so I know I might not find something in my price range.

Although, I know whatever I purchase I want to make sure if it does go south I am able to fix it without taking out a house loan :D I don't have wads of money just waiting to be spent so any purcahse I make has to be thought out. Thanks for your response on this subject.

Besides the Dynaco, any other brands come to mind
 
As for other brands, maybe QSC or Carver. Neither brand is high on the audiophile charts but they do give you plenty of power. If you want respectable audiophile gear, try Adcom. You won't get the 555 but you could pick up a 535 or 545. Nikko is underrated. Do an AK search on the brands and see what trips your trigger.
 
Back
Top Bottom