• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Powerful Influences

Guest123

Super Member
This might be an interesting exercise. After listening to some Jethro Tull today, I began to wonder what they would have sounded like if there'd been no Roland Kirk to precede them. Rahsaan's influence is so abundantly apparent in Ian Anderson's approach to playing the flute.
Another one that springs to mind is what Keith Richards (and possibly quite a few other guitarists) playing might sound like today had there been no Chuck Berry before him.
Any others to add?

regards,
 
Register to hide this ad
Some Townes Van Zandt (Live at the Old Quarter) bubbled up on the iTunes shuffle just now, and I thought "I'd like this much better if he'd never heard of Bob Dylan."

I'd say Bob Dylan has a lot to answer for, especially the cheap surrealism that gummed up so many songwriters' lyrics after him.
 
The first time I saw David Lee Roth on tour (after the first VH album), My first thought was
"Man, he wants to be Robert Plant something awful!!!") of course my second thought was
"It's gonna be fought for the Doobies and then the Stones to top that in the next three hours!!!"

And of course I was right, VH blew the the Doobies (who I was really there to see!) and then the Stones away!
 
Velvet Underground. I think it was Brian Eno who said they only sold 30,000 copies of their first record, but everyone who bought it started a band.
 
Back
Top Bottom