• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pre-Amp & Amplifier choices

parkjv1

New Member
Aloha All,

Back in the day, I always went with a receiver vs pre-amp & Amplifier. Sansui 7500, quad receiver.

Fast forward 40 years and here I am putting a vintage Marantz System together.

I have a 2265B receiver but wanted to add to my humble collection.

I bought a Marantz 2020 Tuner, European version with the smoked glass front in mint condition. I paired it with a 3300 Pre Amplifier but having never owned a pre amp or Amplifier, would I need to pair a preamp and Amplifier?

I bought a JVC AX-Z1010TN Amplifier in mint condition- still in original box, never used.
That was originally targeted for a separate system that I inherited from my mother.

Would the JVC be a good match for the 3300 preamplifier?

Or would I be better off with a Marantz Amp?

Mahalo,

John
 
Register to hide this ad
Give it a try, it won't hurt anything and it may surprise you. JVC gear tends to fly under the radar, but they made some very nice gear.
 
You do realize that tuner will probably need a step up transformer to work on US standard voltage.
 
Give it a try, it won't hurt anything and it may surprise you. JVC gear tends to fly under the radar, but they made some very nice gear.
Mahalo Nui Loa (Thank You Very Much)! I’ll test it out and report back! Everything is in transit from various points in the world so may be a while till everything comes together
 
If the JVC is an integrated amplifier, the 3300 would be redundant, unnecessary, in that the JVC incorporates a power amplifier and pre-amplifier into one unit.

The tuner will be fine--probably an input into the JVC labelled for tuner, but any line level input (basically anything but a phono input) would be fine. Enjoy!
 
I’ve always owned a receiver, not familiar, what does that mean?

I can’t use it with the 3300?
An integrated amplifier is a unit which contains a preamplifier and an amplifier. A receiver is simply an integrated amplifier with an on-board tuner.

I suppose you could use it with the Marantz preamplifier if the JVC has removable jumpers on the rear panel to separate the signal path between its preamplifier and amplifier.
 
If the JVC is an integrated amplifier, the 3300 would be redundant, unnecessary, in that the JVC incorporates a power amplifier and pre-amplifier into one unit.

The tuner will be fine--probably an input into the JVC labelled for tuner, but any line level input (basically anything but a phono input) would be fine. Enjoy!
Mahalo Nui Loa for the feedback!

Appreciate it very much!

John
 
Back
Top Bottom