• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pre-amp issue? 2285B

Mike Sweeney

Well-Known Member
So playing records or tapes over the headphones sounds good. But when I kick in the speakers distortion and fuzz are the main components. Radio seems fine without distortion. None of the filters seem to affect it. The only thing I can say that I know is bad is the balance control. It's rough and will cut out a channel or volume depending on where I put it but dead center seems to work fine .. go figure

I have not swapped the balance because it's a special indented unit that is pretty hard to find. But it's been cleaned and lubed the best I can do.

And yes, this unit has been completely rebuilt with new transistors, caps etc. This issue is new.. it happened some months after the rebuild was completed. So I'm guessing drifting carbon resistors or that balance control is killing it. But I would think it would distort across the board regardless so need to test that a bit more I think.
Thoughts?
 
Register to hide this ad
First see if the sections all turn when the knob is adjusted - like those crappy ones like in a 2500 that has the flat shaft that likes to come out. Then I'd try recleaning the function selector rotary switch.
 
Back
Top Bottom