• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

preamp power socket

trainbuftony

Electron Herder
I've had many amplifiers over the years which had a octal socket in the chassis where the mono preamp would plug in and steal power.
I like this option and I wish it would have been fully developed and included on modern amps.
Unfortunately it vanished about the time stereo showed up on the scene.
In fact the st70 is the only stereo unit that comes to mind which utilizes the preamp power sockets. My Acrosound amps have it, my McIntosh amps have it, most dynaco amps had it, along with heathkit and eico.

Just think, if this were still in fashion, there would be people building all sorts of brand new octal sockets to supply industry.
We could have a standardized format for unpowered preamps.
High end cable manufacturers could add to their product line.

Possibly best of all, us experimenters could build experimental preamps and save the cost of the power supply (2/3 of the cost of building the thing)

There's no meaning to this thread other than to point out how history could have gone differently, and maybe to foreshadow a potential future build.

What are your thoughts?

Do you use yours?
Should they be right in front or should they be in the back?
Has the unsightly appearance of unoccupied octal sockets affected your sleep, marriage or ability to pay your bills?
Know of any power amps or preamps which use this technology?

Spill it! I want to hear all about your adventures "stealing power"
 
Register to hide this ad
never been a fan of the look of empty sockets on the front of amps. It just gets messy looking IMO.

I have a phono preamp that I knocked together on a single tube chassis from a Magnavox console. The power connection is what amounts to an octal socket saver with wires. It sits between one of the power tubes and the chassis and brings out 6.3v for the heater, a ground, and a B+ connection from the screen. I put that in my EH Scott 800b to make it work with a mag phono cartridge.

I also added a socket to the tuner in my Hoffman console to power an MPX decoder from something else.
 
I am noticing different amps octal sockets have different numbering of the connections. Where you wouldnt be able to use for say one mfg unit with another. That makes it confusing.
 
Why have a standard that lets you mix and match when you can make it proprietary and sell people a complete setup? Annoying for the user, great for the manufacturer. Lets throw in different voltage levels while we're at it so its not just a simple matter of re-wiring the plugs, that'll get 'em!
 
Back
Top Bottom