• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Preamp stripping

Lee Nguyen

New Member
Hello AKers
I'm new and happy to be part of the family. I'm retired and trying to get back to music listening.
I have question regarding my preamp stripped and lost power (no more turn on).
My yamaha AVC-70 pre is connected to AMC 2100 amp and to Welton S48T speakers. I use RCA cable plugging into my phone (and Youtube) as source. The whole system was playing and suddently no sound coming out and I saw the pre turn off. try several time to "awake"it with no luck. I borrow my brother's Carver C1 and replaced the pre in the same setting and it plays well for two days and again suddently no more sound. the C1 stripped the same way as the Yamaha. The C1 does come back after I leave it for about an hour. The Yamaha come back to life after couple days.
Please tell me what happened /anything wrong with my setup?
Any help and advises will be highly appreciated
 
Register to hide this ad
Thank you for the advise, that would be a high possibility. I will check right away.
Also I noticed on the back of the pre there is a screw for ground GND, do I need some kind of ground since the pre power cord is two prong?
 
Thank you for the advise, that would be a high possibility. I will check right away.
Also I noticed on the back of the pre there is a screw for ground GND, do I need some kind of ground since the pre power cord is two prong?
No, normally you won't need a ground. That screw is for connecting a turntable's ground wire.
 
Can you plug your phone directly to the amp via RCA (being mindful of volume)? That takes the preamps out of the equation and lets you check that the amp is functioning properly.
 
I use it that way before I acquired my preamp. Using the volume control from the phone (my amp have only on/off button). then the problem did not exist. Just bland sound
 
I used the word stripping to mean power cutoff without anything smoked (LOL) and resume work after some time. Thank you,
Never heard it used that way before. By your name, I'm going to infer that your native language is Vietnamese. Could be something that's lost in translation.
 
"a good quality surge suppressor" is still a dream for me at this point (live on SSA) would a good power strip with surge protector works?
 
"a good quality surge suppressor" is still a dream for me at this point (live on SSA) would a good power strip with surge protector works?
Difficult to say. Some inexpensive surge protectors are basically worthless, some can give some help. Certainly couldn't hurt if you already have something. Not sure what your budget is, but when I needed something to protect a DVR that had already been damaged once with a voltage spike, I did the research and ended up with one of these for $36.
I am Vietnamese and still have a lot struggling in my English learning
No worries.
 
I think you point me to the right direction. I live in an old house and I need to protect my gears better and for that amount, I would be able to bye it. Thank you,
 
The AVC-70 has an active headphone port you could leave it play for a couple days through phones and see if it happens again. Either the house current or the AMC amp is the common denominator.
 
Thank you for all inputs and advice. I have bought a Monster power surge protector (lucky $10) and all my equipment now go through it. The problem seems not coming back ever since. Thank you, very happy to be in a caring family.
 
Back
Top Bottom