• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pro-Ject 6.1 Damping oil?

dread31

Addicted Member
Hi All!

I have a mid to late '90s vintage Pro-ject 6.1 with a damping cup underneath the platter suspension.
This cup was filled with some sort of viscous oil, that has condensed into a sticky goo at the bottom over the years. I believe the "Perspective" was basically the same design, but with an acryllic plinth.

Anyhow,

Does anyone here know what type of oil this was?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Silicone oil? :scratch2:

I believe so. But what viscosity? Silicone can come in several different forms, from sprayable light oil to thick grease to adhesives. I'd like to try and find the best match possible, with what was originally used. I'd imagine it's going to be fairly thick stuff.

I've emailed Pro-Ject, but being it's the weekend and they're located in Europe, I don't expect a response until at least tomorrow.

Dave
 
I believe so. But what viscosity? Silicone can come in several different forms, from sprayable light oil to thick grease to adhesives. I'd like to try and find the best match possible, with what was originally used. I'd imagine it's going to be fairly thick stuff.

I've emailed Pro-Ject, but being it's the weekend and they're located in Europe, I don't expect a response until at least tomorrow.

Dave

There are two types that I use for tone arm damping (internal).

300,000 wt.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...osho-Silicone-Differential-Oil-300000wt--40cc

500,000 wt.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...osho-Silicone-Differential-Oil-500000wt--40cc

There may be some information concerning the grade of silicone oil in the owner's or service manual.:scratch2:
 
Hi All!

I have a mid to late '90s vintage Pro-ject 6.1 with a damping cup underneath the platter suspension.
This cup was filled with some sort of viscous oil, that has condensed into a sticky goo at the bottom over the years. I believe the "Perspective" was basically the same design, but with an acryllic plinth.

Anyhow,

Does anyone here know what type of oil this was?

Thanks in advance,

Dave


Are you talking about the main bearing that is directly under the platter's spindle that rests in the bearing well? The other side of the spindle centers the record on the platter. If you need bearing oil for the main bearing I would use this oil.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7304-michell-synthetic-main-bearing-oil-8cc.aspx
 
Use the 500,000 wt. The amount of dampening applied to the plinth is determined by how far up or down (in/out) you have the rod adjusted that threads into the plinth and into the cup. It's adjustable but you don't want to bottom it out in the cup. Too far up and it will scrape the bottom of the platter.
Works very well though when adjusted just right.
 
Back
Top Bottom