• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pro-ject Carbon Rumbling

pavement74

New Member
Hi. I have a one year old Pro-ject Debut Carbon with a Ortofon Red cart. It was working well until the anti skate weight fell off for the millionth time yesterday. I put it back on and now I'm getting an intermittent rumble sound when it plays albums. No problem when it's not touching vinyl--only when the needle is down.
Any ideas?

I'm so tired of this weight problem. Would I better off getting a different turntable? My father-in-law has a beautiful Yamaha YP-D71 that sounds awesome. Would that be an improvement from the Pro-ject if I get a better cart?
 
Register to hide this ad
I put it back on and now I'm getting an intermittent rumble sound when it plays albums.

This sounds like your getting feedback and your cartridge picks up the sound in the room and sends it back though the system.

Would I better off getting a different turntable?

Well there is always better tables, I would keep your eyes out and save some money. When a good table comes up you can upgrade.
 
Thanks! I just got new bookshelf speakers and I bet they are shaking the entertainment center so much that it's causing the noise. I'll try foam or carpet under them this afternoon.

Thanks again!!
 
I had rumbling on my Music Hall (Pro-ject) that was cured by putting the shipping screws back on the motor.
 
Thanks! I just got new bookshelf speakers and I bet they are shaking the entertainment center so much that it's causing the noise.

Is the table and speakers sharing the same cubby hole in the entertainment center? If they are I would move them, sound wave can be bouncing around the turntable in a confined space.
 
Back
Top Bottom