• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Progress of repairs on (m-65)

bob06

Addicted Member
I have the M-65 all cleaned up now. Took about 3 hours cleaning and a lot of Q-tips. Cleaned the glue off and found that I had to replace both 22omh resistors. The jumper wires ended up being fine. Waiting for the Caps to arrive so I can finish recapping. In the mean time I been working on replacing the binding posts and have that finished. I ordered two sets of Gold Ground Posts and RCA Jacks from Vampire Wire so I can replace them since I have it opened up. I've bought and made two sets of everything so when I'm finished repairing this one I will begin doing the same work on my other M-65. Heres pictures of completed work so far.:D
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Great job..That board looks like you could eat off of it.:thmbsp:
 
IEC plug in. Made up a couple of Power Cords for the M-65s. I think this is a LEGEND in the making. I will put some wax it on when I'm done. What do you think $1,250.00 on the bay. :lmao:
 
Last edited:
Well my first recap is under my belt. I think things went pretty well. I didn't think it was that bad. I just took one out at a time and make sure I put the same value back in its place I even made then all straight. I know how you guys like that. I have one more AMP to finish but I wont bore you with the details on that one. I'm pretty proud of myself that I was able to pull it off.:banana:
 
Last edited:
Well my first recap is under my belt. I think things went pretty well. I didn't think it was that bad. I just took one out at a time and make sure I put the same value back in its place I even made then all straight. I know how you guys like that. I have one more AMP to finish but I wont bore you with the details on that one. I'm pretty proud of myself that I was able to pull it off.:banana:

maybe some of them resistors look a bit close to some of the caps .just thinking them resistors may run warmish
 
Hows she sound?

Its not finished yet. I have to put all back together. But whats petehall talking about, there to close to the resistors? Will I have a problem? I cant see anyway getting around it. Please let me know before I plug it in.
 
Its not finished yet. I have to put all back together. But whats petehall talking about, there to close to the resistors? Will I have a problem? I cant see anyway getting around it. Please let me know before I plug it in.

Your good to go.Those resistors don't even get close to 85 degree C.
 
sorry for any confusion i assumed by the size and being away from the pcb they may tend to run hot ..or pretty warmish

OEM caps were larger and positioned even closer to those resistors.Theres enough ventilation on the top & bottom covers that 90% of any heat is convectioned straight up.
 
OEM caps were larger and positioned even closer to those resistors.Theres enough ventilation on the top & bottom covers that 90% of any heat is convectioned straight up.

ok thanks i stand corrected i am and always will be still learning . i must learn to keep my mouth shut sometimes and stop causing confusions ..if i could or have in the past felt them resistors for real on another same unit i would have known it was ok ..keep up the good work ..
 
ok thanks i stand corrected i am and always will be still learning . i must learn to keep my mouth shut sometimes and stop causing confusions ..if i could or have in the past felt them resistors for real on another same unit i would have known it was ok ..keep up the good work ..

Learning is a good thing. Having concerns and voicing them is also good. I've always been concerned with capacitors (film and large electrolytic) sitting on circuit boards next to small triodes or large output tubes. Even regular moderate heat isn't good for them in the long run.
 
Thanks for this thread, very informative. I have not one but TWO M-60s to clean up, re-cap, and probably more. Always great sounding amps, had them pushing Snell A-IIs biamped.
 
IMHO It took longer to clean the first Amp then to recap It. The second Amp no cleaning was needed it was a NOS Amp I bought. They both came out Awesome and sound great. Now I'm working on my C-4.:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom