• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Proton anyone?

I have recently sold a 740 Proton deck on ebay, was a very nice machine and well made, if i still had tapes i would have kept it!
 
I had two of the Proton 1100 preamps at different times and both had intermittent loss of one channel. I loved the sound but would be cautious about buying another. I primarily use the Kenwood [TRIO] "Audio Purist" C1 preamplifier and find it sounds much like the Proton 1100.:music:
Old thread here I know.
A FIY point...
I have a 1100, and just got a 1000-both needed selector/input switches cleaned as the had a channel drop out issue-easy fix-the switches are semi-open units on the rear PCB.
They actually are pretty solidly built-good caps-no need for a cap upgrade unless they are bad here...
 
Just last week I was ready to buy a Proton 300 table radio off of the local CL for a garage system, but then I found a 940 receiver on ebay. Unpacked it yesterday and all I’ve gotten done with it so far is look at it. Nice; e.g.: DPD, pre-out jacks, screw cap speaker terminals (surprisingly not the cheap push-button ones found on the similar integrated, I believe.) I did falsely assume these were made in Japan, but didn’t realize it’s Taiwan.....oh well.
 
Proton made great TV monitors. The problem was they didn't last to long as they ran the voltage to high and the picture to hot. There other products were just run of the mill.
 
I haven't read the whole thread; it may have been praised already. I found the Proton 300 "radio" at a thrift many years ago, then the 301 speaker a few weeks later — and then a second 301. Total cost IIRC about 25 bucks, for a good preamp/tuner, and three good 2-way speakers with 50W amps. I used the 300/301 for years as a "radio" for B/G music. But when something really great came on and I cranked it up — whether kick-ass rock or a huge symphony — it had no limits. A fantastic little system.

That's why I put "radio" in quotes — it's far more. I tried it as a "hi-fi system", with the speakers on stands, with other sources: a good TT/Arm/Cart + tube phono pre + CD-transport/DAC. It was great. Then I added two subs, and I could happily live with it as my only system if all my better gear suddenly disappeared.

When it debuted, it was "Product of the Year" at CES and in Rolling Stone magazine. A long time ago, granted, but there was no shortage of other great products — '82 wasn't a bad year in "vintage" terms, with plenty of 'High End' products too.

I haven't played it in a few years, I'd be very careful switching it on again, and it would need some work, eg caps. But it was 35 yrs-old last time, chamber music and Jazz were ravishing, and it never missed a step with Rock even at window-shaking levels. I kept marveling "How the hell did they do it?"
 
Last edited:
The very first car stereo I heard were a couple of MTX Road Thunders in a slanted box, powered by a couple of Proton amps (small wattage, but cute as hell). All in the hatch of a Mercury Capri, early 80's version fox body.

That little system was such an eye-opener.

2 years later, I'd have 2 18'' Cerwin's in my 88 Thunderbird's trunk. Ridiculous then, ridiculous now, but....I was 17.
 
Late, late here but I just got my D940 from the shop. It received a thorough cleaning, a new 'speaker relay', a few solder joints redone and some corrosion cleaned up. The tech. told me the corrosion from from the wrong glue. Then who knew folks would want it working 30 years later! It plays a pair of old Infinity bookshelf speakers (RS-10s I think) in the garage.... watching for some speakers that are (cheap and...) more appropriate to allowing the neighbors enjoy my music too. <grin>

THis, a fun thread to read through!

Tommy
 
Talk about a blast from the past. I am still using my proton d940 that I purchased in 1984 :-) It's only being used in my spare room to support a cassette player! And a CD player.

It's working fine except the input selector switch has got dirt on the contacts so if I don't fiddle this then one channel cuts out or is very noisy. I have tried using contact cleaner but the actual switches are not where the knobs are but are connected via a long rod and are in the back of the unit. So it's very fiddly to get to.

My new plan is to actually only used the poweramp section because the Proton has preamp out and power amp input connectors which are bridged usingt u shaped metal connectors. Then I can just use the power amp to drive some other speakers I need in my home theatre system. While the amp is rated at only 30 Watts if I recall it has this dynamic power on demand which should provide sufficient headroom.
 
Old thread here I know.
A FIY point...
I have a 1100, and just got a 1000-both needed selector/input switches cleaned as the had a channel drop out issue-easy fix-the switches are semi-open units on the rear PCB.
They actually are pretty solidly built-good caps-no need for a cap upgrade unless they are bad here...

Yup. Old thread, but my little 1100 is STILL doing service as my main unit, under my monitor, as we speak. She's a workhorse that won't die. (And still sounds great.)
 
PA-Proton-KR500-006.jpg
 
Came across this oldish thread, and I have this to report: I bought an AA-1150 at a recent AK meet, and cheap too. I had one years ago that I bought new, so this is my second one, and I love it.
 
I recall when Proton first appeared. I noticed that the styling didn't hide their NAD origins. I heard some of their amps, which sounded OK at an entry-level price-point.

I bought a Proton 320 clock radio in the 1980's. A bit pricy at the time, but it had the best sound quality available in a clock radio. I still use it today. Unfortunately it got dropped in one of many housemoves. The tuning dial doesn't work (I have a hole drilled in the back so the stations can be changed using a screwdriver, doesn't worry me because it stays on the one station). The light behind the dial also broke. The technician superglued a bulb behind it, which worked for a fee months before it failed. I know that there are better-sounding clock radios now, but none appear to be as easy to use (in the good sound quality category). So I'm keeping on using it. I'd like to buy another that's in good working order, but they didn't sell many over here (240V models) so haven't seen any in the usual places.
 
Slick pieces. Tested and produced 1000 watts of dynamic headroom into 2 ohms. Run a preamp with two outputs or run one L to one 1150 and the R to the other 1150. Run one speaker to the corresponding L/R. Bam. Kicking ass.
 

Attachments

  • 1BA11FAB-4B88-4632-8E05-A06DCEB8A26D.jpeg
    1BA11FAB-4B88-4632-8E05-A06DCEB8A26D.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 16
  • C48FB0C1-3121-46CF-B213-A9E3140591AE.jpeg
    C48FB0C1-3121-46CF-B213-A9E3140591AE.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 4DBAF78B-D055-4634-B55C-C04880C5019C.jpeg
    4DBAF78B-D055-4634-B55C-C04880C5019C.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 5FA5A6D7-47A9-4FE3-BE2C-DFC5B05E0380.jpeg
    5FA5A6D7-47A9-4FE3-BE2C-DFC5B05E0380.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 15B0558D-8217-4A89-9E92-3CC3CCBF268F.jpeg
    15B0558D-8217-4A89-9E92-3CC3CCBF268F.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 9541592F-C6A6-473F-8D19-A8BA07ADA5FD.jpeg
    9541592F-C6A6-473F-8D19-A8BA07ADA5FD.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 16
  • D77298AF-9C4E-4743-99E7-CB5751F88B52.jpeg
    D77298AF-9C4E-4743-99E7-CB5751F88B52.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom