• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Proton - is it worth it for a beginner?

Vdub IDDQD

New Member
hi everyone,

im looking to get my hands on some cassette/CD/Tuner equipment and relive some of my youth.
ill admit, i was never really into stereos or audio equipment when i was younger, but now im trying to learn what i can before making a purchase.

i have locally found a Proton AC-425, AV-445 and AD-431 all together for $220 (no speakers included).

i have no clue if these units are any good, what to look for. but i do know that they all work as intended.

any help is appreciated as i continue to tumble down this hole and spend all of my money haha
 
Register to hide this ad
Electrical capacitors wear out after about 20 years. So do the laser pick ups in CD players, and the rubber belts used to spin the CDs and cassettes.

You're looking at potential repair costs on these units.
 
Electrical capacitors wear out after about 20 years. So do the laser pick ups in CD players, and the rubber belts used to spin the CDs and cassettes.

You're looking at potential repair costs on these units.

thanks for the info, definitely good to think about with such old units.
 
I've had some of that gear over the years...it was touted in the same tones as NAD...it isn't...
I always had reliability problems....bluebook prices are about $100 total less for all three pieces...I'd pass.
 
Proton is not very popular on Audiokarma...never cared for it myself.

They did make an amp with cool analogue meters on it.

The AA-1150...I'd have to give this two thumbs for appearance. Never owned one.

e3yuhbpcmj8cvqtjsb1n.jpg
 
Last edited:
I had a Proton tuner that was very good and most Proton gear appears to have taken a page from the NAD design book. You could do worse starting out in this hobby but I agree with others that it may need some work and the price is about twice what I would pay for it.
 
One aspect of picking vintage is attempting to buy and sell without losing too much of the initial investment. Buy a piece for $100 and keep it for a while then sell it for $100. Sometimes maybe a little less, sometimes a little more......if attention is paid to cost, one can try out a few different system pieces and find something that is well suited to one's taste for the cost of time and not too much more.

Recap, restore, repair? Many cheap pieces can play OK without much, if any, work. Still possible failure of older equipment is part of the consideration. Initial cost is most important for equipment that may never be worth what potential repairs might cost
 
thanks everyone for the help and advice!
i really appreciate it.

i think my excitement was pushing this buy more than the practicality of it all. i think i will keep digging for a system until i find the right one.
 
I've had a couple of Proton pre-amps. They sounded great except they both lost a channel. Great sound, quality? not so good.
 
The only experience i had with Proton was a desktop radio. Sounded great...but once the radio broke it was impossible to fix.

I'd look at something else.
 
I have a Proton AV 445 it's wonderful. I did not pay for it a good friend just gave it to me. This might be 1980's black junk but it is all metal. At 50 watts per channel it works well with almost any quality speaker. My AV-445 has been completely refurbished. It's nice and loud and the sound is pleasing.


Screenshot from 2026-10-03 20-44-23.png
 
Back
Top Bottom