• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Public Library Finds

finnbow

The Dude Abides
I thought I'd do a shout out for the CD selection at my local public library (Germantown, MD). I dropped by the other day for a book and decided to have another look at their music. In the past, it was no better than your average thrift, so I've bypassed it for the past couple of years. Imagine my surprise when I found the following CD's (in addition to plenty of Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, Who, Doors, Dylan, Springsteen). You're allowed up to 50 out at a time, for up to 3 weeks.

They had several by each of the following artists:

Tom Waits
Lou Reed
Ry Cooder
Crowded House
Steely Dan
Buzzcocks
X
Velvet Underground
Patti Smith
Robert Johnson
Howlin' Wolf
Zappa
Warren Zevon
David Gilmour
Roxy Music
Talking Heads
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Albert King
Roxy Music
Ramones
Koko Taylor
Jimi

Not bad, eh? Any other public library systems out there with decent music selections?
 
Register to hide this ad
*raises hand*

Mine does! We have something like 15 branches, and every one of them has a decent music selection, and it's very easy to order stuff from them.
 
Howdy finnbow, I've been duping CD's from the library for the last 12 years or so. I have over 1500 cd's burned. I scan the covers front & back and duplicate the original to where you can't tell the difference from the original. You can order CD's online that the library haven't even received yet. Check out the link below to check CD stock!! Unlimited Rock, Jazz or anything in between and even download concerts to your computer. My last one was Deep Purple Live in Concert. Cheers CB

http://www.phoenixpubliclibrary.org/controller.jsp?N=5
 
I've been to that Germantown library, and their cd selection is very good. You should go to the Quince Orchard library, which is even bigger. But the best locally are the Howard County libraries -- they have an amazing selection, all up to date. How many libraries do you know that would have Sonic Youth's deluxe editions of Goo and Daydream Nation? And plenty of jazz.
 
mine has multiple cds by the Who, Stones, tons of jazz, etc. nearby branch had some great World music, Loreena McKennit, Mandrill, etc.
 
Well,
big, bigger biggest.
Won't claim that we have a 'public institution' with the biggest collection of recorded music but it will come close to it with:
- 300,000+ titles on CD,
- 300,000 titles on viny and
- 10,000 titles on DVD
It is so big that most public libraries in our region have decided to ditch their own collection of recorded music (CD & DVD) and to start a cooperation with this pubic institution.
It is called "Centrale Discotheek Rotterdam" and they have a website at
http://www.muziekweb.nl/
it is, unfortunately for most of you, in our own language: dutch
A part of the collection (193,762 tracks) is accessible through the internet
http://www.muziekweb.nl/menu/digileen/index.php
You will have to D/L a special program before you can listen to use what you have D/L'ed for free during a period of 7 days.
Not sure but it might be possible that access is limited to dutch citizens with dutch IP numbers.
And no: I'm not (yet) a member of this Centrale Discotheek. Only wanted to share this information with you
 
Back
Top Bottom