• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Purchasing Elecgronic Equipment to adjust tapes Drives

Larry_NYC

New Member
Hi Everyone

Im back and Now I have 2 Tape Decks, after I lost all in the Sandy storm.
Both need speed adjustments it seems.

I want to buy the test tapes, but I find them very expensive (over $60) on the Bay

I also want to buy a Frequency counter that will cover that range around 3khz

Any recommendations for a counter? where to buy,, whats the better names?

All help and guidance is Much appreciated.

Thank you all

Larry
 
Register to hide this ad
Any frequency counter will do not critical. Buy a dmm with a built in freq counter. I have a Fluke 8060a.
 
Thanks for the idea,
But I found your Fluke meter and its $450. More then I paid for both Cassette Decks.

I found a single Freq Counter on Amazon for $89.

Now.. where can I get the Test Tapes cheaply?

THanks
 
You can use a computer with a half-decent soundcard to do many measurements on tape decks. This little free frequency counter program is very good for the tape speed setting and I am using the AudioTester program for distortion, frequency response and noise measurements. You would need a proper True RMS multimeter for the PB Dolby Level adjustment though.

Re. test tapes - there is a good reason why proper test tapes are expensive and if you are not willing to pay the price you are not serious enough about adjusting your decks.

Cheers

Alex
 
I havent thought about the Computer choice.
I have a Laptop that might do the Job.

You're probsbly right on the Test tapes costing what they do.

Do you have a preference where you buy them.
Im afraid I might get someone's Used junk on ebay.

Any maunfacturers still making them?

Thanks again

Larry
 
if you get used junk that is not to spec, send it back and demand a refund, as long as it says that it is in good condition, and you find that claim to be contrary to the actual, then paypal will back you.

but yes test equipment, in the cheap end, you will still have more money in test equipment than you spent on two decks, or possibly more than those decks are worth. and if you had all the tools, well a nakamichi T-100 for example is like $600+, but thats one of the best tools ever designed for tape service,maintenance. having everything, especially to do nakamichi decks, will cost you more than a car probably.

you NEED test tapes for aligning decks, and setting playback levels, as alex said, most other stuff can be done through computer, better if you have a good sound card.
 
I havent thought about the Computer choice.
I have a Laptop that might do the Job.

You're probsbly right on the Test tapes costing what they do.

Do you have a preference where you buy them.
Im afraid I might get someone's Used junk on ebay.

Any maunfacturers still making them?

Thanks again

Larry

You have a PM.

Cheers

Alex
 
Larry:

Sorry for your loss. I was in NYC last weekend visiting my daughter. I noted many boarded up businesses. A music shop had many boxes full of vinyl, but would not put it in the bins-water damaged.

Test Tapes:

www.mrltapes.com (no affiliation)
 
Back
Top Bottom