Hey, all, I keep a pretty good inventory of components on hand, including some very hard to get BJTs. One thing I don’t have a whole ton of are MOSFETs. And when it gets down to the nitty-gritty of them, nor do, I truly understand them as well as the BJT.
So I am wanting to purchase a number of them and I want to make sure I get the right thing. I will likely purchase the Exicon/Profusion ECX10N20 and the P channel partner. I don’t intend on building any new designs and these should strictly be used for replacing broken MOSFETs from existing designs. So I think the TO-247 package is the way to go since it can easily be swapped in for the no longer existent TO-3. I will likely grab 120 to 150 pairs so I want to make sure that I get this right. Is there any reason to go to the larger TO-264 package? Generally, when you see BJTs in these two packages, their specs aren’t too far off from each other. A lot of the time they’ll use the exact same day so all you really get is a bit more dissipation. Not in this case, in this case, the larger package gets you double the current at 16A vs 8A and double the dissipation at 250W vs 125W.
Does anyone else make lateral MOSFETs? I am unaware of all of the lateral MOSFETs out there, but looking at the specs of some of the common Hitachi like the 2SK135/2SJ50, 2SK134/2SJ49, 2SK1058/2SJ162, and another pair that is escaping me at the moment I am seeing that these either equal or are slightly under the 8A and 125W spec of the Exicon. Are there any lateral MOSFETs that anyone knows of being used in equipment that would exceed these ratings? Any reason at all to purchase some of the larger package? I know if I went with all of the larger package. It would be a lot more difficult mounting fees to the to-3 heatsinks.
Secondly, vertical MOSFETs or V-fets. Obviously used by Sony and Yamaha. I’ve been reading up on them and I guess something like the IRFP240 is a vertical fet??? That doesn’t make sense to me. Because clearly they’re not going to be interchangeable otherwise everyone wouldn’t be so desperate to find replacements unless it’s another spec that doesn’t allow them to work.
Anyways, if anybody has any input on my potential purchase, please let me know. I am hoping to purchase for what I would need in my lifetime as I think it’s very likely that in 10 years from now these may not even be available. The TO-3s are gone I’m sure these are next.
Dan
So I am wanting to purchase a number of them and I want to make sure I get the right thing. I will likely purchase the Exicon/Profusion ECX10N20 and the P channel partner. I don’t intend on building any new designs and these should strictly be used for replacing broken MOSFETs from existing designs. So I think the TO-247 package is the way to go since it can easily be swapped in for the no longer existent TO-3. I will likely grab 120 to 150 pairs so I want to make sure that I get this right. Is there any reason to go to the larger TO-264 package? Generally, when you see BJTs in these two packages, their specs aren’t too far off from each other. A lot of the time they’ll use the exact same day so all you really get is a bit more dissipation. Not in this case, in this case, the larger package gets you double the current at 16A vs 8A and double the dissipation at 250W vs 125W.
Does anyone else make lateral MOSFETs? I am unaware of all of the lateral MOSFETs out there, but looking at the specs of some of the common Hitachi like the 2SK135/2SJ50, 2SK134/2SJ49, 2SK1058/2SJ162, and another pair that is escaping me at the moment I am seeing that these either equal or are slightly under the 8A and 125W spec of the Exicon. Are there any lateral MOSFETs that anyone knows of being used in equipment that would exceed these ratings? Any reason at all to purchase some of the larger package? I know if I went with all of the larger package. It would be a lot more difficult mounting fees to the to-3 heatsinks.
Secondly, vertical MOSFETs or V-fets. Obviously used by Sony and Yamaha. I’ve been reading up on them and I guess something like the IRFP240 is a vertical fet??? That doesn’t make sense to me. Because clearly they’re not going to be interchangeable otherwise everyone wouldn’t be so desperate to find replacements unless it’s another spec that doesn’t allow them to work.
Anyways, if anybody has any input on my potential purchase, please let me know. I am hoping to purchase for what I would need in my lifetime as I think it’s very likely that in 10 years from now these may not even be available. The TO-3s are gone I’m sure these are next.
Dan