• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Putting new speaker grills on...

Mr L

Active Member
I am going to put new grills on some of my speakers and want a vintage grill looking material for them. I ordered some samples from one place and they really dont have what I have in mind. I am looking for a cream colored material with some bits of gold & beige colors mixed in. Cannot for the life of me remember where I saw it at. I was wondering if any of you have used a fabric from a fabric store that was not acually speaker grill cloth? I seen some at a fabric store today & was wondering if some guys use just plain fabric for their grills? I was thinking mabye some fabric might be too thick & not let the full sound thru & make it sound muffled. Also, what type of adhesive do you guys reccomend to attatch the material to the grills? Thanks..
 
Register to hide this ad
If you're looking for that vintage Dynaco linen look, I used some "unwashed cotton" material from the craft section of Wal-Mart. It seems to be thin enough to not block the sound.
 
This guy has some vintage cloth:grillcloth.com but buying from a fabric store is cheaper.

I've used contact cement with good success. Apply two coats to the frame and let dry, wrap the cloth to the frame and iron it on.
 
thanks

Thanks guys, those sites gave me alot of options. Whats the best way to do the corners? overlapping or cutting a small slit & folding over??
 
Back
Top Bottom