• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

qrx-9001 help

Bruton1960

AK Subscriber
I recently bought a qrx-9001. It has been recapped except for tuner board. Sounds great with my Oppo player with 5.1 and 4.0 disc. The problem is when I play qs or sq records I do not get much separation. On Cd-4 I get great separation but one channel is almost out. I am looking for a tech that could go over quad boards. I tried http://www.qrxrestore.com/ but they only do complete restores and I do not want to sink that much more into it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JB
 
Register to hide this ad
You talked to Jim? Last I heard he'll rebuild the quad boards and do the "holy grail" alignment when he gets the time. He also does some mods to increase separation. He may even have a couple spare boards already prepped he could swap out for yours.

That said, sure it's the receiver? Quad can be a bit finicky when it comes to cartridge alignment and signal level. Make sure that's all up to snuff and you're using a quality cartridge. CD4 in particular needs to be aligned using a special test record, which could explain the "missing channel". At least try switching the cables from the table and see if the problem moves as well.

Speakers? Depending on type and location, highs can get "lost" in transition, which would certainly tend to blend the channels and make it sound like there's not much separation. A real test would be to try listening with quad headphones - granted - a bit of a rarity. You could get a couple cheapo sets and just bridge the ears with those to test the front to rear effects.

It's also possible something went wonky in the phono section during the rebuild. Try using an external stage and see what happens. I use an Art DJ Pre II with my 9001 and it does a fine job. Matter of fact, I was just listening to some Enoch Light big band stuff, and it literally knocked my socks off.
 
Thanks sKIZO. I have a Marantz cd-4 phono preamp I will try it tonight. Did not think of that. The Turntable is a SL-10 with shibata stylus so I am good there. Decodes great on my Marantz 4300
 
You could also try the playback using a couple sets of bookshelf speakers set close enough together that you know it's not the room interaction or EQ that's damping your channel so it sounds weak. You can always use those speakers in another room later ... It's not like there's any shortage of speaker outputs on the 9001 ...

One thing I miss when compared to my trusty old QR4500 ... being able to set ALL the speakers to stereo output. I though the X2 setting on the speaker selector did that, but that apparently just bridges the front and rear amps to double the power output for two channel stereo into the front speakers only. That DOES give you a butt kicking 200wpc ...
 
Back
Top Bottom