• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Quad ESL 57's at GW

Neither is a good choice a priori.

Here's the deal about ESL-57s. They're insensitive and they will not tolerate much power (the panels will arc and be more or less rapidly and profoundly damaged - tweeters are the more sensitive of the two panels to arcing). Finally, they present an interesting load to an amplifier, being virtually a short circuit at high frequencies.

Use a Quad amp (the orignal Quad II monoblock, at about 15 watts, is arguably the perfect amplifier for them) or a good, low powered "third party" vacuum tube amp for best results. I generally use PP EL84 amps with mine, for example. If you scour the web, you can find lists of safe amplifiers to use with them.

http://www.quadesl.com/quad_main.html
quad_impedance_graph.jpg
 
Last edited:
Tubes are a great choice; use the 4 ohm tap, or treble response will suffer. An NAD 3020 is a good, cheap, solid state alternative - if going solid state look for something rated into a 2 ohm load. As Mr Hardy said, you don't need too much power. Twenty watts is enough. If you hear the treble getting hard and congested-sounding, back off on the volume. Also, once plugged in, they need to charge overnight.

Good luck. Quad 57s are wonderful; in some ways, the best speakers ever, as long as you don't need real-life SPLs.
 
Neither is a good choice a priori.

Here's the deal about ESL-57s. They're insensitive and they will not tolerate much power (the panels will arc and be more or less rapidly and profoundly damaged - tweeters are the more sensitive of the two panels to arcing). Finally, they present an interesting load to an amplifier, being virtually a short circuit at high frequencies.

Use a Quad amp (the orignal Quad II monoblock, at about 15 watts, is arguably the perfect amplifier for them) or a good, low powered "third party" vacuum tube amp for best results. I generally use PP EL84 amps with mine, for example. If you scour the web, you can find lists of safe amplifiers to use with them.

http://www.quadesl.com/quad_main.html
quad_impedance_graph.jpg
Would something like the Quad 606 solid state amp be good on the 57s? I've heard one on my 63s and it sounded pretty nice. I know very little about 57s though. The 63s are easier to drive it seems.
 
You'd list them on the Bay. People would still pay a good sum. We're talking about Quad 57, not a pair of defunct speakers from a cheap mini set.

The guy died and his kids thought they looked stupid.

You guys know you can't take any crap with you when you leave here don't you?

marc mc
 
So, they had no cord and thus they were sold in "not working" condition....12 bucks ???

Regardless, Awesome find!
 
Wow...

And here I was thinking that finding a pair of Spica TC-50s with blown tweets but immaculate cabs for $15 was a score.:stupid:

Seriously, great score! Enjoy them! :thmbsp:
 
Well these weren't in the $12 range unfortunately...

They had them marked at $299, which is quite high for Goodwill so I guess they had some idea what they had. Today selected items were 40% off so I ended up getting them for $195 out the door. Not give-away prices but I'm happy:smoke:

They are a speaker I've wanted to try for many years and this is most likely the only way I will be able to.
 
Would something like the Quad 606 solid state amp be good on the 57s? I've heard one on my 63s and it sounded pretty nice. I know very little about 57s though. The 63s are easier to drive it seems.

It'll be fine; the Quad solid state amps are good with difficult loads.
 
you are a very lucky man, and if all the panels work without a flaw, you'd be the luckiest man in your town!

if the panels are ok and the dust cover films are not ripped or terribly dirty, don't bother rebuilding them. i've done them, and trust me, you'll loose your hair. :no: better off sending them over to refurbish. i think it's a couple hundred each panel. you should rebuild the power supply and crossovers though. bake them in the oven to melt the wax and change the diodes.

good luck! :thmbsp:
 
You'd list them on the Bay. People would still pay a good sum. We're talking about Quad 57, not a pair of defunct speakers from a cheap mini set.


No, I wouldn't list them on ebay. I'd just give them away and be done with it. I often give hi-fi gear away or sell it for a song.

And some people see giving things to GW and SA as a charitable act, I think that's virtuous of them.
 
Serial numbers 14940 and 15681, from information I've found online it would appear these were manufactured in 1965 and most likely have the epoxy potted power supplies (I haven't opened them up yet).
 
Serial numbers 14940 and 15681, from information I've found online it would appear these were manufactured in 1965 and most likely have the epoxy potted power supplies (I haven't opened them up yet).

Plenty of Quad ESL-57 info on teh webs; I presume you're hip to all of that jive already, yes?
 
Plenty of Quad ESL-57 info on teh webs; I presume you're hip to all of that jive already, yes?

Well, I'm getting hipper to it!:)

I've always wanted to try the Quads but didn't think it would really come to pass. As a result I never really investigated them in depth. Now that I have a pair the search will begin in earnest.

This is the company that rebuilt my Quad ESL 63s, through their previous owner. Electrostatic Solutions.

http://www.estatsolution.com/index.php?bod=0

They're like new and sound amazing- they also sell individual parts for the 57s.

Thanks for that link, I'll put it in my new "57" folder.
 
It might indeed be worth considering springing for pro restoration of a pair of ESL-57s obtained at a bargain price (and yours was a bargain price, I'd opine).

That said....

Have your read Art Dudley's Stereophile article on DIY ESL-57 rehabilitation (yet)?

quadsnvinyl0609.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom