• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Quantum Jr. Dome midrange

For those interested in trying a DIY repair: On a VC where you can't find the end of the wire (to unwind one turn and resolder), I had succes with a magnifying glass, and following the VC coil winding with a sharp sewing needle, until find the end of the wire, and catch it with the same needle.

I did it in a much smaller VC than this, 1/2" diameter, a very tiny one, the wire was thinner than a hair, and this trick worked perfectly.
 
Braun service

Hi, the quantum mids are made by Baun/ADS Richard So can repair these recone and recoil. ADS Speaker Repair in Pheonix. $120 for both. he is a former ADS engineer.
 
Last edited:
Follow-up on repair

As suggested by Bkphoto I contacted Millersound regarding the repair of my Monitor IIa Braun dome midrange (I have to side with loquatious relative to Infinity's source for these drivers) and got a pretty immediate reply as to the charges involved. I don't want to bend any AK rules but will just say that they are less than those services available on ebay.

Millersound repaired the Monitor IIa dome midrange driver that I sent them in very short order and for what I consider a very reasonable price.

I have no affiliation with Millersound but would not hesitate to recommend them for such repair services as I received.
 
i had one repaired from them also (plus many woofers) the fixed mid dome seemed to produce more of the high end of the midrange than the others...they sound different...
 
Millersound fixed it, I'm surprised because I thought my attempts may have screwed it up. It looks great and seems to sound good. Thanks for those of you who recommended them.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 37
Very good.
My guess is a new voice coil was implemented.

I suppose this thread needs some attending to....:)
 
I used to fix the midrange domes on a old set of Infintys I restored a few years back, while it is a tedious little job, a few improvements by fellow members were added to a thread i use to have here at AK, Pictures were used as much as possible
to help, I have found that pics are much better in my case at least to help me with small things that I might often forget, I dont have the eyesight or dexterity that I had during that time these days, so Im sure it would be more difficult anyway
I think there was a couple of repair threads around, there used to be a few that popped up here and there that were not too costly, I gave my extras away after finding a source for some rare new drivers that managed to pop up, Anyway I would be glad to help
Here is a Link to an older post where I and many helpful members here fixed a few. I hope you can get it going http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mid-dome-tinsel-wire-repair.322722/#post-4005105 good luck. If you have any questions
about the pics or my first try on them just holler or pm me. well I guess or hope the OP got everything fixed up or the part they need at least, thats great Im not sure my shaky old hands could even do those anymore
By the way the beeswax they used back when mine were made was imo probably the reason many failed since it hardened over time.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom