• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question about anti-skating

I understand that point. My main contention is that it doesn't make sense with line contacts because the antiskate is way higher than what seems to be necessary. I use this method with conical and elliptical styli and the resultant settings make sense. Line contacts and ML not much. I have an SEK 2 microscope so I am also monitoring wear.

I have to admit I don't know the physics of different diamond cuts on skating, but in terms of the dead wax "slow move to spindle" test I have never noticed much difference between "regular" ellipticals and the line contacts on my Benz Wood SL, Denon 300 and Denon 300 with Shibata. Have you noticed this on many different styluses?
 
Just another data point: I was able to adjust AS for my Shelter 501II that has been retipped with a line contact stylus using the record with a blank side. However, I was never able to use that method for my Ortofon Cadenza Bronze that has a Replicant 100 stylus that looks like this:

mc-a95-sra.jpeg

It stayed where I put it regardless of the amount of AS and the record spinning. My non-technical rationale is that the stylus was digging into the flat record surface. Has anybody had success with Soundsmith's AS method using a Replicant 100 stylus?
 
My experience is that when setting AS using a blank disc (inner, outer, and middle "track" areas) and comparing this setting to a test record designed for the purpose of setting AS, there is a rather large gap between the two.

I do not discredit others with their methods, but I have found for myself that using a test record is really the "only" way to set it precisely for my needs. And further to this, I found setting it on the innermost track is the most "revealing" of very minor discrepancies. I am making seemingly miniscule adjustments to AS (easy to do on the MA-505, on the fly) and clearly hearing the difference. Getting that distortion to center on the innermost groove is really when I feel I have "arrived" at the solution. Trying to set the AS based on a printed line/scale on the knob? It'll never repeat, even if that method could be used.

Note that I say this because the middle and outer grooves are much more forgiving during this set up, and therefore less critical of the exactness of the AS setting. Those will sound perfectly fine while the inner groove will still be quite horrible.

If you're investing hundreds (or more) on cartridges and/or stylus tips, it is well worth the investment to have a good test record to ensure your set up is optimized.

I prefer the Hi-Fi news test record for setting AS but there are several out there for the purpose.
 
I use the Hi-Fi News record too. I wear headphones while testing so I can hear the difference between the channels better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: j!m
I use the Hi-Fi News record too. I wear headphones while testing so I can hear the difference between the channels better.

Yes, thank you for posting that. I should have been clear myself- I also use headphones. Speakers (and the room) may mask low level distortions you are trying to pick out.
 
O.P. here: I used the soundsmith method and adjusted my a-s so that when I drop the stylus toward the end of a record, it drifts slowly towards the center before catching in a groove.

Since I started this thread, I've learned that there's no optimal a-s force and there's a lot of variation. So I think I'm happy with it the way it is.

However, I am still getting all of the sibilance in the right ear. Although I'm no longer convinced this has to do with anti-skating. That will be another rabbit-hole.
 
O.P. here: I used the soundsmith method and adjusted my a-s so that when I drop the stylus toward the end of a record, it drifts slowly towards the center before catching in a groove.

Since I started this thread, I've learned that there's no optimal a-s force and there's a lot of variation. So I think I'm happy with it the way it is.

However, I am still getting all of the sibilance in the right ear. Although I'm no longer convinced this has to do with anti-skating. That will be another rabbit-hole.

Good luck chasing that right channel sibilants rabbit! My nemesis is periodic intermittent hum with a SUT and EAR 834 clone…although no hum for days, knock on wood!
 
If the sibilance is in one side, you need to increase force in the opposite direction, (reduce AS in this case) to remove the distortion, or, at least, balance it so it is at a similar level in both channels.

This is why I set AS by “ear” and never rely on any indicated value.

If it persists in one channel, check azimuth of the cartridge (horizontal and vertical alignment) and if those are good check the stylus itself for damage.
 
Back
Top Bottom