• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question about cork mat...

Orlando S.

New Member
I know this is kind of a dumb question, but what do you guys use to make the little whole in the middle of a diy cork mat? To cut the mat out of the square piece of cork you just use normal scissors, right?

Do you use one piece of thick cork, ou two thinner ones glued together? I've seen both types. I've seen various places that recomend ironing the cork before cutting it, will this make the cork thinner?
I've found two sizes so far, 0.4mm and 0.6mm. If the ironing process makes the cork thinner i should buy 0.6mm!


Third question: how could i make a diy record clamp? What kind of wood do you people recomend?
 
Register to hide this ad
When I made mine (several years ago), I used a razor blade knife. For the center hole, I got it started and left the hole a slightly small and then pushed it down over the spindle and trimmed away the excess. I used 12" cork wall tile.

I have heard of people drilling a hole in a hockey puck for a record clamp.
 
When I made mine (several years ago), I used a razor blade knife. For the center hole, I got it started and left the hole a slightly small and then pushed it down over the spindle and trimmed away the excess. I used 12" cork wall tile.

I have heard of people drilling a hole in a hockey puck for a record clamp.

Thanks! Don't know where i'll find a hockey puck around here, it's a tropical country, people don't really play hockey or even know how the sport works :scratch2:

You used a 12" wide cork, but do you renember how thick? Is the ironing thing really necessary?
 
I haven't measured the thickness, but I would estimate the cork I used was about 1/4" thick.

Ironing?

I am sure you can get a hockey puck cheap on eBay. But you might be surprised if you check your local sporting goods stores.
 
Place the cork on a piece of wood. Put a record you don't care about on top as a template. Using a SHARP exacto knife, just cut around the record. You'll get a much better, cleaner cut than with scissors.

* * * * *

Now, use a straight edge or protractor to find the exact center of the cork disk. Use an awl to scribe a pilot hole at this point. Then use a SHARP drill to make a hole the tiniest bit smaller than the hole at record center. Do this by hand. Do not use a power drill. Alternatively, again using a record as a template, file the hole slowly using a needle file.

Fred
 
Thanks! Don't know where i'll find a hockey puck around here, it's a tropical country, people don't really play hockey or even know how the sport works :scratch2:

You used a 12" wide cork, but do you renember how thick? Is the ironing thing really necessary?

Pm me your address, I'll mail you a puck. Up here, in Canada, they grow on trees.:D
 
I use a socket that the outer diameter is the same size as the spindle. Put it on a block of wood, and give it a wack with a hammer.. all done.. fastest and most perfect hole you can cut.
 
Back
Top Bottom