• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question about KLH Model 20 Speakers

DDriver

New Member
First of all, apologies if this question has already been answered...I haven't been able to find it if so!

I just bought a pair of KLH Model 20 speakers, and I want to hook them up to my stereo. The back has what appears to be a single RCA input. Does anyone know the best way to connect this to a regular system? I tried splicing one half of the speaker wire to it, but that hasn't worked.

Also there's a switch near that single RCA input, saying 'High Frequency Level: Normal / Decrease / Increase'. Does this do something other than exactly what it sounds like?

Many thanks...
 
Register to hide this ad
Recap those. The caps have no doubt gone bad over the years and are greatly limiting the tweeter output. It's a night and day difference.

Wouldn't hurt to DeOxIT the three-position switch while you're in there.
 
Thank you both for the info! Found those things at my local radio shack.

Again, apologies for a naive question-- but what does it mean to recap them? I don't know how to do that.
 
Recap = Replace the capacitors. They are parts of the crossover network that, especially in vintage KLH speakers, drift in value with age, and alter the response of the tweeters. Many people think KLH tweeters are bad, but it's really just that the capacitors are so bad that they don't receive a signal.

It's not difficult, you just have to be confident. There's a thread on replacing the caps in a pair of KLH Seventeens, which are very similar to the Twenties: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102176

And here's a (long) thread on the reasoning behind recapping: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78978
 
Thanks

Thanks-- I got the Radio Shack things and hooked them up and I must say they sound AWESOME. Really excited about them.
 
I'll second the recommendation to recap these. These speakers are just 4ohm versions of the popular Model 17's. The cap values are the same in each speaker. Good luck and enjoy them!
 
Looks like I am a few years behind on this thread.
If anyone is reading this I have a question.
I noticed that he didn't replace the Bradford ceramic resistors. I'm wondering why not since he was in there???
Any thoughts?
 
Back
Top Bottom