bebopdeluxe
Well-Known Member
Hello everyone. After a LONG layoff, I am back listening to my rig - which means I am back to AK!
A question - I have an Echo Wars rebuilt (looks like he is not around these days) Sansui AU-919, with which I have always used a separate phono stage. As part of shaking the cobwebs out of the system, I discovered that my Wright Sound WPP-200 is not powering up (I am getting replacement tubes for the power stage - fingers crossed), so in the meantime I have finally plugged into the AU-919's phono stage. For now, I am using a Sanyo TP-1020 turntable (my backup, as I also am having issues with my Music Hall MMF-7 turntable's cueing level - aarrgghh!), with a new Denon DL-110 HOMC cartridge.
So the issue is this - there are two settings on the Phono 1 input for the 919 - for MM and MC. When I put the selector on Phono 1 MC, I only get music out of one channel, but when I use the Phono 1 MM, I hear it out of both speakers. Strange.
My question - for those who know the AU-919 - is this: is the MC setting on this amp simply a step-up transformer of the audio goodness of the amp's phono stage? To be honest, on the MM setting, things sound great...so good that I may actually reconsider whether I will get another outboard phono stage if the Wright is DOA after replacing the tubes. My guess is to get a outboard phono stage that will sound better than the 919, it might cost several hundred dollars (like, a Wright Sound level pre) - yes?
Thanks for the help!
A question - I have an Echo Wars rebuilt (looks like he is not around these days) Sansui AU-919, with which I have always used a separate phono stage. As part of shaking the cobwebs out of the system, I discovered that my Wright Sound WPP-200 is not powering up (I am getting replacement tubes for the power stage - fingers crossed), so in the meantime I have finally plugged into the AU-919's phono stage. For now, I am using a Sanyo TP-1020 turntable (my backup, as I also am having issues with my Music Hall MMF-7 turntable's cueing level - aarrgghh!), with a new Denon DL-110 HOMC cartridge.
So the issue is this - there are two settings on the Phono 1 input for the 919 - for MM and MC. When I put the selector on Phono 1 MC, I only get music out of one channel, but when I use the Phono 1 MM, I hear it out of both speakers. Strange.
My question - for those who know the AU-919 - is this: is the MC setting on this amp simply a step-up transformer of the audio goodness of the amp's phono stage? To be honest, on the MM setting, things sound great...so good that I may actually reconsider whether I will get another outboard phono stage if the Wright is DOA after replacing the tubes. My guess is to get a outboard phono stage that will sound better than the 919, it might cost several hundred dollars (like, a Wright Sound level pre) - yes?
Thanks for the help!