• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question about Spec2 vs. Spec4 amps...

sbparks

Active Member
Pioneer folks,

I've been watching that auction site for some time now for a Spec4 amplifier to come along. There are several amps listed currently and they come and go from time to time. Not in a hurry, but I'll act when things present themselves.

I might have mentioned before that I've been looking for a second amp to use in a system that I am building. My plan is to have a Spec4 driving a 'rear' pair of speaker and another Spec4 driving a 'front' pair of speakers. Both amps attached to a single Spec1 preamp. I've got my current system set up that way and I like running two sets of speakers (or at least being able to).

Here's my question... Does anyone have any thoughts or comments about my second amp (the one I'm watching for above) being a Spec2 instead of the 4. My original thought was to have both amps be 'matched', but I've watched a few of the Spec2s float by and wondered about using the Spec4 for the 'fronts' and the Spec2 for the 'rears'.

Having the Spec2 would 'round out' the Spec series collection (one of each). The Spec would give a little extra power to the 'rears' (which are larger Advent Heritage speakers). Or I could keep things simpler and match the amps as originally intended.

Here's another... The Spec2 has a 'protection' lamp. When is this lamp on and what does it indicate? When the amp is powered up, does it light up momentarily?

Thanks for entertaining my 'system scenario' above! :D
 
Register to hide this ad
Sounds like your doing the same thing im doing cool. Ive got 2 Spec2s only using 1 for the moment until i getmy 2nd one freshened up be EW. I also have 4 large speakers Klipsch CF3s. At one time i had 1 set in front and 1 set in the rear. Didnt care for that to much No sound stage then. I have all 4 up front now 2 on each side . My goal is to have 1 spec2 per each set of spkrs rather than running 1 spec2 at 4ohms on 2 sets. My speakers are 8ohms each! Currently im only using 1 set of Klipsch on my Pioneer set up and the other on my HT setup. If you decide to go with a 2 and a 4 i would put the 2 on your front speakers and the 4 on the rear if thats what your goal is . Youll have more power in front of you (The sound stage) . Running 4 speakers 1 in each corner really just fills the room, and you have no stage at all. Thats just my opinion. There is alot of people here to help you out . Would like to see some pics as your building your system also. Thats always cool . I have pics on this forum , just look into post by harleyrider Good luck with your set up Ive seen the spec your taliking about with the protection light on, it shouldnt stay on there must be something wrong with that unit! Chris
 
Mr Harleyrider,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Here's some of the reasons I'm into the four speaker setup... I'm running a pair of Advent Heritages (older tower speakers). These are the Jensen variety, with the Advent logo on them. A *good* sounding, nice powerful speaker (not the greatest, but still nice). They look super too with the real wood treatments. I also have an older set of Advent/1's from the late seventies. I've listened to both, one pair, then the next. They both have very good qualities. When I play both, I am most impressed. They come together well.

As far as the soundstage, Yes, I agree, but a fair part of my listening is done while I'm not in the room anyhow. In otherwords, the system is on, its cranking, and I can enjoy as I go about my other tasks. Its background music, but its not just in the background. When the volume's up I can enjoy everywhere!

I arranged the speaker outputs so that both lefts are on one side and both rights are on the other side of the room. This helps to keep a 'stage', but not necessarily across the front. More all around. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to create a 'surround' environment or anything like that.

Of course the other good reason for the two amp setup is to keep the system in a safe impedance level as when using two pair of speakers, the impedance is going to drop pretty low.

So, that protection light shouldn't be on? I didn't think so. Does it come on on when the amp is powered on? Just for a moment?

Any other thoughts about mixing a Spec4 and Spec2?

Thanks.
 
You are correct, the red light will come on when powered up. Then 10 seconds later or so you should hear the relay click and the red light will go out and the meters will bump ever so lightly at least mine do. And mine is a fresh EW overhaul . I love it, if you do get this spec2 and need it worked on i would strongly reccomend EW. As for your 4 spkeaker set up, if thats what you want and it sounds good to you .Go for it. The 2 Spec2s should do it for ya and then some. These amps have tons of power, as far as the Spec4, i havent owened one yet . I have thought of buying one just to have it, im sure i could fit it in someplace lol. I have a pair of Advents also out in the shed. Not sure which ones they still have the original paper work stapled to the back and are stamped 1973 i believe? Fried egg tweeter and the odd 10 "woofer in the 12" basket. Cabinets are very heavy, if i remember correctly they couldnt handle much power? but did sound good with a low watt amp!
 
Pioneer folks,

I've been watching that auction site for some time now for a Spec4 amplifier to come along. There are several amps listed currently and they come and go from time to time. Not in a hurry, but I'll act when things present themselves.

I might have mentioned before that I've been looking for a second amp to use in a system that I am building. My plan is to have a Spec4 driving a 'rear' pair of speaker and another Spec4 driving a 'front' pair of speakers. Both amps attached to a single Spec1 preamp. I've got my current system set up that way and I like running two sets of speakers (or at least being able to).

Here's my question... Does anyone have any thoughts or comments about my second amp (the one I'm watching for above) being a Spec2 instead of the 4. My original thought was to have both amps be 'matched', but I've watched a few of the Spec2s float by and wondered about using the Spec4 for the 'fronts' and the Spec2 for the 'rears'.

Having the Spec2 would 'round out' the Spec series collection (one of each). The Spec would give a little extra power to the 'rears' (which are larger Advent Heritage speakers). Or I could keep things simpler and match the amps as originally intended.

Here's another... The Spec2 has a 'protection' lamp. When is this lamp on and what does it indicate? When the amp is powered up, does it light up momentarily?

Thanks for entertaining my 'system scenario' above! :D
I have a Spec-2 powering my main speakers and a Spec-4 powering my dual sub woofers. I am using a Spec-1 preamp with a dbx 234s active crossover set to around 240 hz. It sounds great. I have noticed that my average listening volume level has decreased significantly since adding the crossover and Spec-4. The new setup sounds just as great at lower volumes as it does at the higher volumes. With over a horsepower of wattage this system doesn’t strain or clip even at the highest volumes. I’m never going back.
 
Back
Top Bottom