• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question about using YBA3 pre-amp for second TT

jbelway

Active Member
I'm sure many of us here are using more then one TT in they're system. I have 3 that I'd like to use without having to disconnect and reconnect wires to use them. I do have a YBA3 pre-amp that I'm not using and thought I could use that to solve my problem. So here's the jist of it, I'm using a Premare integrated amp with a Premare Phono Pre-amp for my Denon TT. Since there is no phono plugs on the amp I use the Aux plugs for the phono pre-amp. I picked up the YBA3 pre-amp used and have never used it. I tried to locate an operating manual with no luck [anyone have one they could copy for me?]. There are phono inputs on the YBA3 so this is where I plugged my other Sony TT. The other inputs are for CD, Tuner, Tape In and Tape Out and there are 4 connects that say Output. This is where I figured I could run cables to the AUX on the back of the Primare with one of those RCA cables with a Female piggybacked on the male. Nothing happened, I tried every combo on the back of the YBA3 and I can't get any sound out and I can see it has power as the green light is on. Does anyone have any experience with the YBA3? I could sure use some advice or help or I may have to just buy a switch box and have done with it but I'd like to use the Pre-amp if I can.
Jim
 
Register to hide this ad
Is there a "bypass" switch on the front? I guess you've played with it already. Here there are a few pictures: do these correspond to your preamp? If this is the case, there seem to be two sets of outputs (for two power amplifiers, for example) and any vertical pair should be OK, at least in principle.


428766-yba_3_dt_power_amplifier_preamplifier_remote_control.jpg
428764-yba_3_dt_power_amplifier_preamplifier_remote_control.jpg

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...er_preamplifier_remote_control/images/428764/
Pics from
 
I'm sure many of us here are using more then one TT in they're system. I have 3 that I'd like to use without having to disconnect and reconnect wires to use them. I do have a YBA3 pre-amp that I'm not using and thought I could use that to solve my problem. So here's the jist of it, I'm using a Premare integrated amp with a Premare Phono Pre-amp for my Denon TT. Since there is no phono plugs on the amp I use the Aux plugs for the phono pre-amp. I picked up the YBA3 pre-amp used and have never used it. I tried to locate an operating manual with no luck [anyone have one they could copy for me?]. There are phono inputs on the YBA3 so this is where I plugged my other Sony TT. The other inputs are for CD, Tuner, Tape In and Tape Out and there are 4 connects that say Output. This is where I figured I could run cables to the AUX on the back of the Primare with one of those RCA cables with a Female piggybacked on the male. Nothing happened, I tried every combo on the back of the YBA3 and I can't get any sound out and I can see it has power as the green light is on. Does anyone have any experience with the YBA3? I could sure use some advice or help or I may have to just buy a switch box and have done with it but I'd like to use the Pre-amp if I can.
Jim
Try the Tape Out on the YBA into an unused input on the Primare.
Okay i'll try that tonight when I get home from work.
Thanks
 
Is there a "bypass" switch on the front? I guess you've played with it already. Here there are a few pictures: do these correspond to your preamp? If this is the case, there seem to be two sets of outputs (for two power amplifiers, for example) and any vertical pair should be OK, at least in principle.


428766-yba_3_dt_power_amplifier_preamplifier_remote_control.jpg
428764-yba_3_dt_power_amplifier_preamplifier_remote_control.jpg

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...er_preamplifier_remote_control/images/428764/
Pics from
Yes... this is the unit I have exactly [do you have a manual you could copy] and it does have that bypass switch which I have no idea what it's for. I did try both of the outputs into the back of the Primare Aux, but it didn't work.
 
Yes... this is the unit I have exactly [do you have a manual you could copy] and it does have that bypass switch which I have no idea what it's for. I did try both of the outputs into the back of the Primare Aux, but it didn't work.

Unfortunately I don´t have a manual. The bypass switch could be a shortcut avoiding the tone controls (?). The misterius switch seems to be the "PH/AUX". It looks as ifyou could feed the preamp in those inputs either with a phono signal or with a line one. Crazy, as both signals have widely different voltage ranges (the former being more than 50 times smaller) and, moreover, the phono signal needs an equalization (RIAA). If this is the case, then the bypass switch may be there to avoid the equalization. I´ve never seen something like this, but you could experiment a bit feeding different signals until you get an output.
 
Last edited:
According to this discussion ( http://www.hi-end-audio.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1471 ), the "bypass" switch seems to select the optimal input for a CD. If what is being said in the provided link is true, it could mean that you connect a CD to the PH/AUX and then use the PH/AUX switch to set it in AUX and finally use the BYPASS switch to select it. Weird. There is a similar discussion here: http://enceintesetmusiques.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1076
Well I've had some success. I played with the switches again and I installed the pre-amp into the Primare directly and with the pre-amp volume up full and the amp volume up 60% I do get a decent normal volume but with terrible sound as if I'm hearing only high treble type tones. After reading the articles you posted [thank you] I've determined that this pre-amp is not going to do what I thought it would. Can anyone suggest a good switch box that I'm able to connect 3 TT's to?
Thanks for all the replies.
 
Man! I thought you were referring to a Traynor YBA-3! While that would be a deadly vintage guitar amp, not sure she would be really hi-fi...glad to see its something else:biggrin:
 
Man! I thought you were referring to a Traynor YBA-3! While that would be a deadly vintage guitar amp, not sure she would be really hi-fi...glad to see its something else:biggrin:
Thanks Bill although I'd love to know how to play a guitar I don't see it in the cards. Yes it is a Hi Fi system that I have.
 
Back
Top Bottom