• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question for the acoustic guitar afficianados

Hajidub

I'm Freaking Out Mannnn!
Subscriber
I do not know how to play guitar, always wanted to learn. 38 years ago I brought with me, from Germany when I moved to the States, a German Framus guitar. It's small as far as acoustic guitars go, but every guitarist I know that's played it always say it has nice, big sound (not kidding, always the same response). Since I'm not a guitarist, is anyone on here familiar with this brand?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a 1969 Model 5/1, the "Amateur", 24.5" scale, 38" overall, handy for outings and parties. Small body, 3" deep, 8" waist, and lower bout is quite round. Spruce top, maple sides and arched back. Set-in Mahoghany neck, Rosewood fingerboard. Overall, a well-made little guitar, and great fun. For sound, it punches way above its weight-class. It's no Martin D-18, or Gibson J-200, but it wasn't very much money, either. I bought mine, new, from lawn-cutting money, 45 years ago.

If you have the same model, well, I think it's definitely a keeper.
 
I have a 1969 Model 5/1, the "Amateur", 24.5" scale, 38" overall, handy for outings and parties. Small body, 3" deep, 8" waist, and lower bout is quite round. Spruce top, maple sides and arched back. Set-in Mahoghany neck, Rosewood fingerboard. Overall, a well-made little guitar, and great fun. For sound, it punches way above its weight-class. It's no Martin D-18, or Gibson J-200, but it wasn't very much money, either. I bought mine, new, from lawn-cutting money, 45 years ago.

If you have the same model, well, I think it's definitely a keeper.

I'll post a pic this Monday (when I'm off work). I'd love to learn to play, but lessons are not cheap; plus I'd have to swap the strings (I'm lefty). I've even considered buying one of those instructional video's, but I'm not sure that's the way to go.
 
instructional videos are very much the way to go. They will teach you a lot. Your guitar will need some nut work since you are swapping the strings around. Take it to a luthier and have a proper set up done on it. Best money you'll ever spend...
 
Plenty of instructional vids on youtube. Watching righties play and inverting the chords may be hard at first.
 
I'll post a pic this Monday (when I'm off work). I'd love to learn to play, but lessons are not cheap; plus I'd have to swap the strings (I'm lefty). I've even considered buying one of those instructional video's, but I'm not sure that's the way to go.

I guess I'm the odd man out on this. While I do see the advantage to instructional videos and I do use them... I feel nothing can replace one on one instruction.

You'll gain the advantage of someone actually seeing what you are doing and correct you. This is VERY important early on when you're learning right and left hand techniques. NOTE: Don't ignore the right hand, everybody thinks it's all in the left (reverse these in your case as you're a lefty) because it's working the frets. Being able to cross-pick effectively is crucial to good playing as much as knowing where the E's are on each string.

In my case I have played guitar for about 20 years. Piano longer. I still go back to instructors from time to time. Most recently it was to improve my skills at improvisation. When I get in a rut or want to expand into an area I'll look for a teacher.

Again, in my case... another thing I like about an instructor is it keeps me practicing regularly. I hate to waste money and when I pay for the lesson I'm more inclined to study between lessons. Plus, I get really embarrassed in my lesson if I haven't practiced. The teacher always knows. :yes:

As with most instruction it's good that you find someone who you interact well with and can learn from.

Don't be afraid to interview your teacher before deciding. If they're good they'll want you to do that. Think in advance about what you want to accomplish. What style of music do you like? Do you want to play lead or just accompany yourself singing or playing rhythm guitar? Do you want to learn to improvise and jam along with someone whether or not you know the song? If you do want to improvise I recommend also delving into music theory and a little composition. Because when you improv you're really composing (to some degree) on the fly. You need to know what works and what doesn't.

Hopefully all this hasn't scared you in the least. I strongly encourage you to study the instrument. :yes:

You're obviously interested or you wouldn't have posted this. You have a great guitar to start with. That's a big hurdle you already have out of the way.

If you need more incentive to study music look into some of the recent studies on how music study helps stave off senility and helps cognitive brain functions in general. It doesn't matter when you start in life either... late or early. Just spend the time on it and you'll help your mind, relieve stress and have fun!

EDIT: You may not need to swap the strings. Some lefties play right handed... that's the sort of thing to bring up when interviewing instructors and get their feedback. You might even find someone as an instructor who is left handed but plays right handed, they could provide insight into how to do that.

EDIT #2 (or... boy the coffee is really strong this afternoon!) Regarding the cost of lessons, you don't have to make a life-long commitment to take them. Maybe you only take a few months of lessons to get started and then work on your own, with friends or videos until you feel the need to go back for more one on one instruction.
 
Last edited:
instructional videos are very much the way to go. They will teach you a lot. Your guitar will need some nut work since you are swapping the strings around. Take it to a luthier and have a proper set up done on it. Best money you'll ever spend...

+1

Get it set up regardless of whether you swap the strings or not. An instrument that's set up correctly is WAAAAY easier to play. Shouldn't cost much and you only need it done if it has been in storage for a long time or something major changes with the instrument.

Can't wait to see the photos of it. :yes:
 
I'm in the same boat: just learning. I've avoided going to an instructor but that may have been a bad idea? Took me a year to realize the strings were too heavy and after I got new (lighter) ones it's been much easier. Still, I don't practice enough because I don't really know what the most effective drills or practice routine is. Mostly I've been taking snippets of songs I know -- simple ones -- and repeating them over and over until I start to get the muscle memory for the chords. It's slow going, but when I find my fingers finally(!) moving automatically to where they're supposed to go, it's delightful.
 
Absolutely, personal instructor; you won't get constructive feedback from a video. Now, if you are already somewhat accomplished then yes, video instruction can be extremely valuable, but when your learning, in my mind, there is no substitute for a personal instructor.
 
I do not know how to play guitar, always wanted to learn. 38 years ago I brought with me, from Germany when I moved to the States, a German Framus guitar. It's small as far as acoustic guitars go, but every guitarist I know that's played it always say it has nice, big sound (not kidding, always the same response). Since I'm not a guitarist, is anyone on here familiar with this brand?

I haven't seen one in years but they were quite highly thought of in the '60's.
 
I've been playing guitar for 37 years. Originally self taught for the first 5 years and then got some informal lessons from a friend who was kind of like the guitar hero around town who was absolutely amazing. Later that friend received lessons from Steve Vai. A few years later, I started taking classical guitar lessons to refine my left hand technique.

As for private instructors, it all depends on the quality of the instructor. Really good ones are hard to find and the bad or mediocre ones are hardly worth your time.

When I first started playing, I wish instructional videos and YouTube videos were around. In fact, when I first started playing, there weren't even tabs. It was sheet music and picking out songs by ear, which in retrospect was a godsend for ear training and picking up the ability to transpose what one hears to the fretboard.

My personal recommendation would be to wing it on your own, along with internet tutorials and videos, at least until you get some basics down and can play some songs, however rough they may be. Playing guitar is a matter of perseverance and how much you enjoy playing and how much time you are willing to invest. This is why some players are amazing after only 5 years of playing while others struggle with a song like Stairway To Heaven after 30 years of playing.
 
Im learning as well ( less than a year in) and dont have the time or the $$ for personal lessons. But thats ok.....maybe its preferred, but I make whatever time I can for videos, books, practice time at least 30 minutes a day, etc. Ill find a way. The poster above is correct: perserverance.


Personally, books are tough for me and I hate searching online for videos. So I picked up a Groupon deal for Dangerousguitar.com ( $18). Ive already got the money's worth out of it several times over and the videos are perfect for me as Im a lefty and can use the mirror effect of a righty teacher. Its just a tool though, a piece of the puzzle in the bigger scheme of learning.

Learn whatever way you can.
 
I do not know how to play guitar, always wanted to learn. 38 years ago I brought with me, from Germany when I moved to the States, a German Framus guitar. It's small as far as acoustic guitars go, but every guitarist I know that's played it always say it has nice, big sound (not kidding, always the same response). Since I'm not a guitarist, is anyone on here familiar with this brand?

Interesting: I just saw a smaller acoustic of this brand in a shop in N.C.......wanted $150 for it. Stood out because of the sound, color of the wood and the 'Made in Bavaria" sticker inside.
 
...I'd have to swap the strings (I'm lefty)

He didn't:

2013-01-02-20-31-35.KingAlbert02.jpg

Albert King

She didn't:

news1_en.jpg

Elizabeth Cotten

Of course then you'd need to watch their u-toob vids to learn sum geetar. Hell, 99% of 'blues' players already imitate the style of the incomparable AK (what a coincidence!), so at least you'd get the correct sound @ the double and single bends, etc. And who wouldn't want to be able to knock out a Cotten-esque rendition of "Freight Train", I ask you?
 
Having played many examples -- electric and acoustic -- of 60s-70s era Framus guitars, I'll give 'em two thumbs up. :thmbsp::thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom