• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question on best amp system for speakers

sagamore

Member
I have a Nakamichi SR2a (I believe 30 wpc) driving ADS L780/2's and love the sound detail but now have an opportunity to add some Cizek Model 1's. Since this is an entry level system that I intend to upgrade over time my question is what would be the next step in an integrated amp or receiver to fully exploit these speakers. They are in a smaller room (12' x 12') and I listen mostly to classic rock but also classical and blues. As a novice I am looking to slowly ramp up the acoustic quality of my system but have to keep the cost down given a shrinking 401k. I had been considering a vintage Marantz/comparable or NAD/Rotel move but don't want to upgrade just for small incremental improvements. Any experience with the Nak or ADS speakers would be much appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Wow - this is not an easily answered question as there is soooo many dependancies here!

OK I'll take an amateurish stab at this......

To summarize
You have one pair of speakers (ADS) and want to add a second pair (Cizek), but also want to upgrade the amplifier/receiver in the near future to maximise the advantage of the extra speakers.... room size 12' x 12', music taste = wide ranging.

Things you need to think about
How to connect the speakers to the Amp/receiver
in series - less sonically sound, but no chance of overloading your amp.
in parallel - better sonically but strong chance of overloading your amp.

Be aware that some amp speaker switch A+B settings connect speakers in parallel and some connect them in series :scratch2:

Power output of amp/power handling of speakers/sensitivity of speakers
Need to make sure that speakers (both pairs) can take the power of the amp you are considering.
Consider the sensitivity of the speakers vs the amp power vs loudness level desired vs room furnishing deadening effects. Otherwise you might end up with a combination which doesn't seem 'loud' enough even when you turn it up !

Nothing a lot more to add - but what the hell is a '401k' :dunno: - even a shrinking one :yikes:

John
 
Thanks and clarification

I goofed on the whole thread. I have the ADS speakers and love them but a friend found a pair of Cizek Model 1's sitting on the curb waiting for the trash collector in Lafayette, IN and salvaged them. He knew that I had just started to pay attention to equipment and offered them to me for $100 including reconing a woofer. So that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

I had no intention of playing them at the same time but can only afford one new amp so your comments and some other research are leading me to consider a SS amp of 50-80 wpc like a Yamaha CR series or HR PM 9xx series that could effectively drive either system since the Cizek's are relatively inefficient and sound thin with the Nakamichi receiver. My budget is roughly $200-250 so I am looking for a sleeper.

401k (403b for nonprofit orgs.) was a reference to my melting retirement stash. It is the most common pension system found in US businesses.
 
I'd go somewhere else entirely. I'd look and watch CL for the time being to see if you can get something like an MCS 3125 receiver (or a 3285, next step down). They are sleepers and sometimes go completely under the Radar. Will easily drive the Cizeks to headache levels and sound very sweet :)
 
Thanks, that sounds like a good suggestion after looking up what they were. I'll start monitoring CL for same within driving distance. I am in no hurry.
 
Back
Top Bottom