• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question on ECs and ESR

Kent Adams

New Member
I'm replacing some electrolytic caps on an old 1090, starting w/ the power stage. As a novice, I purchased Nichicon FGs and KZs. I later learned that these should really be used for the signal path, so I purchased replacements that are PWs and PMs, expecting notably lower ESR. However, I tested them with a cheap DROK component tester, and the FGs and KZs are showing lower ESR than the PWs and PMs. Can anyone help explain? If the driver of getting the PW/PMs was their low ESR, then why are they testing higher than the KZ/FGs?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom