• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

QUESTION: Pioneer PL-518 Motor issues???

scorv

Active Member
I am restoring a Pioneer PL-518 and I just tested it after the reveneer...The motor runs intermittent ...off-on /off-on. The auto-return works and the light strobe works too. I am thinking this maybe a motor issue? I cleaned and deoxited the 33/45rpm button and pitch switch everything looks good. but it doesnt spin consistently?

Does it need a new motor? or is this common until the weight of the platter is on the motor to create resistance>??

Thanks for the suggestions

Steve,
 
Register to hide this ad
there are also two potentiometers on the circuit board that need deoxit.
one for 33 and other for 45. these are for fine adjustment. try these.
I had a 518 once, seems like I remember these pots had small plastic caps over them that hid their true nature.
I believe there are different variations of the board but they will all look like this:

PL 518.jpeg
 
Yes I realized that Platter spins great . i was figuring that. Thanks fro teh explanation too!


NOW another problem The Cue will not lift high enough to clear the vinyl on the auto return or manually. I took it apart and think I may be able to put a washer spacer to make the spring extend to its full up position.

ANYONE have to deal with the cueing issue? OR should I try to buy a new mechanism? Just dont know how to take the spring out Looks like a lock washer at end??

Steve,
 
BTW- I Deoxit the spring and cue mechanism along with a small amount of lithium grease but no joy...Still doesnt extend fully ...I am thinking the easy fix maybe a washer or two to increase the contact which is lacking between the plastic piece and the spring in the cuing post.?? I dont want to swap out the whole cuing spring and mechansim if I dont have to???

Steve,
 
Everything works nicely now. Just waiting for my new dustcover and it will be complete. Dont know if I want to keep it or trade it or sell it. IT sounds nice But I am getting a few too many turntables LOL. I will probably keep it...Now to find and upgrade the cartridge on it. IT has an older Audio Technica AT91E. Some life still in it but it is an entry level cart.

Thanks for the advice my friends! My girlfriend and I thank you....listening to some nice Bartok/piano concerto & Traffic, Low Spark of High Heeled boys!!!!

Steve
 
Steve, great to see you sorted out. Thanks spark1, for the cueing height adjustment tip. Major things to note, these do not use an IC for the speed control servo, transistor. The PL-518 is a very well built, solid DD classic, and performs very well. The worst issue I see with age, is finish and cosmetics, and the rubber feet rotting (I bought newly made replacements from an eBay seller for mine). I like my example better than the PL-530 (I've owned both).
 
Cool I am kinda a sucker for the PL-530 pitch meters...I know bling. It is also fully automatic. But yes I really like the PL-518 too solid and simple deck.

I will post some pics when the dustcover comes...besides my girlfriend likes how easy it is to use over my Dual 1229 which is intimidating to her.

Steve,
 
The PL530 is from a previous generation, sibling to the 550 and 570. Beautiful cosmetics.

The PL560 is from the same series as the 518 and is the model with pitch meters.
 
YES I noticed the 530 and 518 share the same Tone arm. Plinths look very similiar too...530 is Quartz locked I think and fully automatic....also fancy pitch meters!

Sound quality wise I would say they are the same or very close??!?!


Steve,
 
Again...the 560 is the one with pitch meters....not the 530.

518, 540 and 560 are siblings, all DD. 540 and 560 are quartz locked, 560 has pitch meters.
 
YES sorry the 530 is the classic wood style plinth [very hot right now] with NO Quartz lock the 560 was what I meant.

The PL-530 has a different tone arm too.

Pics below

Steve
 

Attachments

  • pioneer_pl-530_direct-drive_turntable.jpg
    pioneer_pl-530_direct-drive_turntable.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Pioneer 560.JPG
    Pioneer 560.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 10
The quartz lock model from that earlier series is the 570. The 530 has been "hot" for years.
 
This is the PL-518 in process of restoration. I will post some other pics as it comes complete.
 
Back
Top Bottom