• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question - what to do with JBL L36 Decade speakers ?

Rybeam

Super Member
I asked the question about changing the cross over to improve the L36. The responce was the L36 is not really worth the effort. So..... since I love the oak cabinet and killer brown grills, what modern JBL drivers and cross over would Lansing fans suggest ? Help me turn these great looking speakers into great sound speakers ??? Blasphemy ??? LOL
 
Register to hide this ad
I asked the question about changing the cross over to improve the L36. The responce was the L36 is not really worth the effort. So..... since I love the oak cabinet and killer brown grills, what modern JBL drivers and cross over would Lansing fans suggest ? Help me turn these great looking speakers into great sound speakers ??? Blasphemy ??? LOL
Either enjoy the L36 speaker as it is, or sell them and replace with something that has more potential ...
Don't try to make superior speakers in those boxes in their place

(To give my reference, I bought a pair Brand New in 1976 with a Yamaha CR400 and a Philips 212 TT. Got a more powerful amp in the 80s.
Redid the surrounds around 1990 after they failed. Won a pair of JBL 4320 2ways (15" woofers and horn mids) around 2000 and shortly after that,
I sold the L36s since the 4320 speakers were a HUGE improvement. I've been there. Looks alone don't make it worthy).

Bigger woofers will improve the bass, but need larger boxes than the L36s.
Figure how much money you are willing to spend for great sounding speakers and head down that path -
any money you spend on "modifying" the L36s is not recoverable.
 
Last edited:
I asked the question about changing the cross over to improve the L36.
what do you want to improve upon?

The responce was the L36 is not really worth the effort.
you didn't ask the right people


So..... since I love the oak cabinet and killer brown grills, what modern JBL drivers and cross over would Lansing fans suggest ?
LE25-4 tweeters
LE5-6 mids
125A cast frame woofers

going to be hard to improve upon those drivers

Help me turn these great looking speakers into great sound speakers ???
what's wrong with their sound?

Blasphemy ???
not if you know what you are doing

:idea:
 
you didn't ask the right people

That's pretty dismissive of the advice that was given in the previous thread. Maybe you can elaborate on exactly what you disagree with in regards to the recommendations that were given.


Like putting lipstick on a pig. No amount of crossover modifications are going to turn bad drivers into good drivers.


LE25-4 tweeters
LE5-6 mids
125A cast frame woofers

going to be hard to improve upon those drivers

The LE25-4 tweeter is an obsolete paper-cone tweeter that rolls off far too quickly. JBL themselves almost completely abandoned paper-cone tweeters within only a few years after the L36 was released.

The 125A woofer is mediocre at best. It's power-handling is pathetic, and if you try to push it too hard anyway, you'll just end up demagnetizing the tiny Alnico magnet that it uses. JBL switched to using Ferrite magnets soon afterward, which have higher power handling and do not suffer from potential demagnetization when exposed to large power spikes.

You seem to have a pretty high opinion of those drivers. I'd love for you to describe further what it is about them that you feel is worthy of such praise. I'm certainly open to other opinions.

Personally, I think the only "good" drivers in the L36 are the LE5-6 mids. They are acoustically equivalent to, and interchangeable with, most of the other even-numbered LE5 mids such as the LE5-8, LE5-10, and LE5-12. My L150 speakers, for example, use LE5-10 mids and they do their job admirably. That said, the LE5 series does suffer from a rising response (output increases as frequency rises), which was fixed in the 104H series that followed. Either way, it takes more than just good midrange drivers to make a good speaker.

With that said, if the OP is content with the mediocre tweeters, the mediocre woofers could be augmented to an extent via the use of a subwoofer.

Help me turn these great looking speakers into great sound speakers ???

I would echo what hjames said. While it might sound good in theory, trying to "improve" the L36 by turning them into a pair of hodge-podge frankenstein speakers is only going to ruin the one thing they still have going for them - their resale value. Restore them and be content with their mediocrity for the sake of nostalgia, or sell them and get something better. Otherwise you're just putting a fart-pipe and fancy rims on a Honda Accord.
 
That's pretty dismissive of the advice that was given in the previous thread. Maybe you can elaborate on exactly what you disagree with in regards to the recommendations that were given.
maybe the op can post what they said
Like putting lipstick on a pig.
they are not pigs, they are nice speakers. Maybe they don't meet your standards but your standards are for you to adhere to, not me.
No amount of crossover modifications are going to turn bad drivers into good drivers.
what makes them "bad" drivers? Maybe compared to JBL's higher end offerings but for the price, they are pretty good drivers
The LE25-4 tweeter is an obsolete paper-cone tweeter that rolls off far too quickly. JBL themselves almost completely abandoned paper-cone tweeters within only a few years after the L36 was released.
not obsolete, I regularly listen to LE20, LE20-1, LE25-2, LE25-4, they are nice sounding tweeters
The 125A woofer is mediocre at best. It's power-handling is pathetic, and if you try to push it too hard anyway, you'll just end up demagnetizing the tiny Alnico magnet that it uses. JBL switched to using Ferrite magnets soon afterward, which have higher power handling and do not suffer from potential demagnetization when exposed to large power spikes.
none of that makes them mediocre, they are great drivers for a modest system. Not everyone can have the absolute best that you seem to have
You seem to have a pretty high opinion of those drivers. I'd love for you to describe further what it is about them that you feel is worthy of such praise. I'm certainly open to other opinions.
nothing wrong with liking something that is not considered high-end, it's all about the music
Personally, I think the only "good" drivers in the L36 are the LE5-6 mids. They are acoustically equivalent to, and interchangeable with, most of the other even-numbered LE5 mids such as the LE5-8, LE5-10, and LE5-12. My L150 speakers, for example, use LE5-10 mids and they do their job admirably. That said, the LE5 series does suffer from a rising response (output increases as frequency rises), which was fixed in the 104H series that followed. Either way, it takes more than just good midrange drivers to make a good speaker.
I'm glad you know more than most about JBL drivers. But that does not diminish my enjoyment of JBL's middle range speaker
With that said, if the OP is content with the mediocre tweeters, the mediocre woofers could be augmented to an extent via the use of a subwoofer.
I personally have never felt the need for a subwoofer
I would echo what hjames said. While it might sound good in theory, trying to "improve" the L36 by turning them into a pair of hodge-podge frankenstein speakers is only going to ruin the one thing they still have going for them - their resale value. Restore them and be content with their mediocrity for the sake of nostalgia, or sell them and get something better. Otherwise you're just putting a fart-pipe and fancy rims on a Honda Accord.
I agree with @hjames as well
 
@Chris Brown , that said, you seem to have made a lot of assumptions about my post, most of which are wrong.

I am trying to engage with the OP to see where he is coming from.
 
Last edited:
L 36. FWIW I would sub in the more up to date tweets and mids.
Then look at what X/O mods may be needed.
Actually I would Tri Amp them with DSP. There are plenty of 6 channel power amps out there .
I understand your liking for the aesthetics BTW.

Did Troelsgraveson dive into the L36 ? If so look at his analysis.
 
Thanks all for your responces. I was just thinking out loud. I would never Franken speaker them. They are so good looking. I will likely restore as is, see what I think and maybe sell them. I can only listen to one at this time so judging them is a bit difficult.
 
Thanks all for your responces. I was just thinking out loud. I would never Franken speaker them. They are so good looking. I will likely restore as is, see what I think and maybe sell them. I can only listen to one at this time so judging them is a bit difficult.
what about the rest of your system?
room size?
speaker placement?
room treatment?

these play a substantial role in how speakers sound
 
Last edited:
Thanks all for your responces. I was just thinking out loud. I would never Franken speaker them. They are so good looking. I will likely restore as is, see what I think and maybe sell them. I can only listen to one at this time so judging them is a bit difficult.
I would just do cap changes, clean the L-pads, check the soldering. Clean and treat the wood. I like plain old lemon oil. Then, use them.

I like Deoxit Fader Lube to clean pots and pans.

https://caig.com/product/deoxit-fader-f-series-fn5s-2n/
 
Not trying to be flippant- but, probably the best way to turn the L36 into something that sounds better, is to restore them to stock, sell them, and use the proceeds to buy a pair of JBL 4410s. Same concept, just with much-upgraded drivers and crossovers. And, funnily enough, people seem to be asking about the same amount of money for the 4410s, as for L36s...
 
Well I decided to take the plunge and have my thrift store finds of 20 years ago fully restored by a pro. I just got them back yesterday and find that at my age I now enjoy that JBL more excited sizzle sound that I did not like when I heard these back when new in the stereo shops. The additional snap they have over my long time Bozaks is a welcome addition to my speaker collection.

Cheers all

Hey check out The Retro Cocktail Hour if you are into streaming. Great mid century tunes that love tickling your new fangled stereo !

on mix cloud : Mixcloud

or directly from KPR, loads slow but has more shows ! Listen to The Retro Cocktail Hour
 
Back
Top Bottom