• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Questions on Infinity Monitor IIA

bobins08

Celebrating Life
I saw a very clean pair of Infinity Monitor IIA speakers for sale. I do not believe this model has the Watkins woofer? It looks like they have the same midrange as A/D/S, Peerless Tweeters, and Walsh super Tweeters. I did not hear them but the cosmetics are very good. Asking price is $450.

Can anyone tell me anything about the sound of these speakers and what today's value is?

Does anyone have thoughts as to how they compare to my current speaker, the B&W DM-6’s (which have recapped crossovers)?

I am tempted to offer something but I want to be sure I take a full step up in sound quality if I buy them.

Thanks, Bob
 
Register to hide this ad
A quick AudioKarma search will produce lots of threads on the IIa's, in many of which I was an active participant having owned a pair since new in 1976.

The woofers are not Watkins but CTS with doped paper cones and the most likely drivers to not be original on any found for sale. Dead Walsh super tweeters are also something of which to be aware.
 
Did a search but found very little.

I'll try search again.

So you are saying if any drivers go I will not easily get replacements?
 
I spent an hour listening to the Monotor IIA's speakers yesterday.

All drivers work and are original. They were powered by a mighty Sansui 9090. The source was old and cheap CD player.

They sounded ok. They are forward and brighter than I am used to. The bass was barely adequate. Part of what I did not like could have been the CD player or the CD recording itself. I could not find the sweet spot in the sound stage or a place in the room were the stereo image was impressive. Instead they seem to fill sound everywhere.

I did not like them nearly as well as my B&W DM-6's as they seemed to lack the refinement I am used to.

To be fair ... I can't help thinking that with a better source, fresh electronics, and better room placement they would have been better. There was a congestion in the sound that suggests a recap of the crossovers is needed.

Still not sure what "fair value" is but I think I am moving on.

Bob
 
Back
Top Bottom