• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Questions on JBL L100t

Register to hide this ad
Thank you! There's a little tear in on the grills and a replacement terminal on one. The veneer is almost perfect. Ebay seems to have similar priced way higher.I guess i gotta decide if they are too big or not.
 
They are very nice speakers! Supposedly the T3 crossover mod works wonders on them. I really enjoyed mine and sold them for $450 about 4 years ago. I never did do the mod because I was happy with them the way they sounded. The only reason I did was because they were cosmetically challenged and I had just gotten a pair of ESS AMT 1aM's.
 
I pulled the trigger bought them for $300. Just wired em up and I'm super happy. I just looked at the t3 mod. What real benefits do I get by changing them over?
 
Is there any thing I should look out for to see if it was done right?
Yes,JBL woofer foams get glued to the backside of the woofer cone,not the front.

If the foams were glued to the front of the woofer cone,they were done wrong,and likely generic foams were used,as opposed to foams that are intended for use with JBL speakers.

To me,that's a deal breaker,as the "fix" is a total crapshoot.

And I've seen waaayyy too many nice JBL's with that faux-pas to mention,often this is a clear sign that you're dealing with a flipper,and not a true diehard JBL fan.

HTH

Bret P.
 
I pulled the trigger bought them for $300. Just wired em up and I'm super happy. I just looked at the t3 mod. What real benefits do I get by changing them over?

There are some people barking that this is a required mod when it is not. It all depends on if you are happy with the way they sound with >>>YOUR<<< equipment or not. Some people say the tweeter is too bright but at the same time it does not bother others. I just keep the treble flat or at very low boost when I use my L100ts. That suits me because I like to hear more clearly what is going on up at the high end with cymbals and stuff. I can turn it up or down depending on how much I want to hear. On the other hand I also listen to L5s a lot and they are very well balanced but they don't really give you the opportunity to peer into what is going on in the top end like the L100Ts. It's just something I like to do from time to time.

I've found there is another thing that benefits the performance of the speakers. If you can put them both against a flat wall and move everything away from the wall about 6 to 8 inches it will help give them nice bass response, I also use the stands that were an option when first sold.

I would give them a while to get used to and see if you think anything is amiss with them. If you do them maybe the T3 conversion will help you out.
 
I have bought nd sold a lot of equipment with very little sellers remorse. I had that with these. I have kept my eyes open and will eventually find another pair and buy them. I won't be doing any mods .

With Klipsch ad JBL, I like to have a processor that has a treble control. I find that I can fine tune the sound without invasive mods to the speakers.
 
I think it also depends on what equipment you are using with them. I had them hooked up to a Yamaha amp and on very rare occasion the treble would bother me but only on certain recordings. I had it hooked up a TEAC receiver for a long time and they sounded just fine and the treble never once bothered me.
 
Yeah,that's real good price,I'm relieved to hear that the refoam job was done right,sounds like they're in pretty nice shape too.

Congrats,nice score !

Bret P.
 
congrats! Can you provide some clearer and closeup pics? The listing pics look like there a bit of glue spillage on the cones. Otherwise as mentioned, the cabinets looked very very good.
 
You really think you can tell if the foam has been glued to the back or front with your ears?

what difference does it make if the pivot point on the foam is on one side of the thin cone or the other? I'd love to hear a scientific explanation.
 
elitopus said:
It changes the VC position while at rest, preloads the cone against the spider, and also limits cone excursion.
See ^^^^ above explaination ^^^^.
You really think you can tell if the foam has been glued to the back or front with your ears?

what difference does it make if the pivot point on the foam is on one side of the thin cone or the other? I'd love to hear a scientific explanation.

As stated the correct foams and how they get installed dictate how that driver will allow the cone to follow it's intended excursion limits,and in many cases when these are refoamed incorrectly the wrong (generic) foams get used as well,and either difference alone can effect how the VC gets positioned,and together things can really end up fubar,so yeah both those situations absolutely can affect the excursion travel,and in some cases it can even allow over-excursion where the cone's voice coil will jump right out of the magnet gap,which absolutely is a bad thing to have happen.

And besides the technical aspects mentioned,to a true JBL fan,the aesthetic situation alone makes it a deal breaker.
Simply put they just dont look "right" any way other than the correct way as JBL did them.
So yeah for some of us JBL fans it can be a real deal breaker.

The presentation factor is absolutely killed by a faux pas like that.

If one chooses to be cynical about all this,,,then just what importance is there in using orignal drivers at all,,,heck why not just throw any ol' driver in there ???

The thing is once that particular boo-boo is made (incorrect refoam job),the only 100% fix is a full on recone or R&R of the offending drivers with ones that were'nt butchered to begin with,as often the coating/layers on the front of woofer gets damaged while attempting to remove the incorrectly installed foams & glue,and once that happens it'll never be "right" again.

Anyhow,this is a clear sign that the work was done by either:
A. Someone that does'nt give a d@mn about what they were working on -nor- specific details like that.
B. Whoever did the job did'nt know enough about JBL's to understand that what they were doing was wrong.
C. Whoever did the refoam job was just flat out too lazy to do them correctly.

Ask me,,,none of those options would be considered a good sign...

For me it would mean they'd have to be priced accordingly,as I would need to factor in fixing that miscue,and I know it probably wont be a cheap/easy fix either.

Case in point: I've been looking for a pair of 408G woofers for my LX-44,and it's been months since there were any that were suitable,as something like 3 outta 5 of those woofers get refoamed incorrectly as this line of JBL's are a favorite of "flippers" so these often get refoamed incorrectly,and as such those get passed by as SOP.

FWIW

Bret P.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom