• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Questions on re-capping KLH fives and AR-6's

judgeschreber

Well-Known Member
There are a whole bunch of caps in these KLH beasts, but one of them has me stumped. It is a big red cap marked "2x4uf," and there are three wires going into it. I assume there are two caps in one housing here, but does anyone know whether these caps are in parallel or in series? Can I just buy an 8uF and be done with it?

And by the way, I'm also going to fix up some AR-6's, and the cap in there is a big rectangular thing (about 2.5"x4"x3/4") made by "Independent Condenser Corp." It looks like stiff paper or plastic, not metal. Is this an oil cap that I should leave in there, or is it an electrolytic that has probably dried out?

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
The 2x4uF will have one ground lead and two leads for 4uF each. Other than their common ground, they aren't wired internally, but may be externally. Suggest you examine how they are currently wired and replace with either two 4uF caps or one 8uF as needed. As far as the other cap goes, do you have a multi-meter that measures capacitance? You'll need to unhook it to measure properly.
 
judgeschreber said:
And by the way, I'm also going to fix up some AR-6's, and the cap in there is a big rectangular thing (about 2.5"x4"x3/4") made by "Independent Condenser Corp." It looks like stiff paper or plastic, not metal. Is this an oil cap that I should leave in there, or is it an electrolytic that has probably dried out?

Replace it. I mean, IMO.
 
I recapped my AR6 pair. Pull that wax "brick" out,cut the leads close to it if you intend to reuse the existing wire, and replace it with a 10 uf poly or electrolytic of at least 50v.(higher v is ok ,lower is not). You may already know this,I did not when I started.:)
 
Back
Top Bottom