• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Quiet turntable (Suddenly)

airplanedriv

Licensed Infinity Addict
I recently moved my main system to an adjacent wall.
After hooking everything back up as

same as before, my Rotel RP-2500 is playing at about 1/2 volume it did prior to moving it....with all other variables being the same.

I tried hooking it up through a spare integrated amp I have around the house, and same thing.

I hooked it up to the pre-amp it is always mated to using the "Aux" input and a spare turntable pre-amp...same thing....about half volume.

Any ideas what is going on???

HELP!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • TT-5.jpg
    TT-5.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
If you have a cartridge like a Shure or Pickering, by some chance has the stylus accidentally been pulled out from its normal, seated position?
 
Have you tried cleaning all the contacts for the phono cartridge and head shell wires?

Just put on new wires 2 weeks ago.........contacts are clean as a whistle, and again, the decrease in volume was sudden....immediately after moving....perfect before....
 
If you have a cartridge like a Shure or Pickering, by some chance has the stylus accidentally been pulled out from its normal, seated position?

I generally use a Pickering XV-15, but when this first happened, I put on my spare headshell with a new Ortofon Omega.....same result.....half volume
 
What about the RCA cables of the table? Sometimes I do find the old jacks tend to go bad. But, it almost sounds like a gain issue. Just to be sure because it happened to me, your speaker cables are firmly attached right?
 
What about the RCA cables of the table? Sometimes I do find the old jacks tend to go bad. But, it almost sounds like a gain issue. Just to be sure because it happened to me, your speaker cables are firmly attached right?

Cables look ok....I have had an RCA cable go bad in the past....result was NO SOUND from said channel with the device to which it was hooked, but I have never had one go "bad" in a way that it just became quieter...has always been all or nothing.....Is it possible for it to malfunction in the way I have described due to cables??
 
What about the RCA cables of the table? Sometimes I do find the old jacks tend to go bad. But, it almost sounds like a gain issue. Just to be sure because it happened to me, your speaker cables are firmly attached right?

Cables look ok....I have had an RCA cable go bad in the past....result was NO SOUND from said channel with the device to which it was hooked, but I have never had one go "bad" in a way that it just became quieter...has always been all or nothing.....Is it possible for it to malfunction in the way I have described due to cables??
The cables are routed correctly...all other devices hooked to pre-amp function normally, also, I have tried it with a spare integrated amp using it's seperate speakers,(which functions correctly with other input devices as well) as well as plugged into an "aux" output using my spare phono amp....same result....not dead....just half volume throughout the range of motion of the volume knob.....on both amplification/speaker systems....Hmmmmmmmm.......
 
Last edited:
Dirty switch on the amp? Monitor switch. Volume control?:scratch2: Loudness button off?

John.:music::D

I have hooked the turntable up to 2 completely seperate amplification and speaker systems which work perfectly with all other input devices (tuner, cd, etc,) and get the same result....half volume....even when using a seperate phono pre-amp into an "aux" input location.....pinpointing the issue as being the turntable....but what could possibly be responsible for creating a half-volume situation??

I can understand a dead phono or a dead channel on said phono, but have never run across a situation where it is simply "quited" uniformly....on both of my entirely seperate systems...seems to eliminate the amplification system as a possibility.

Could the phono cables be responsible??.....
Anything else in the TT to possibly give these symptoms??
 
Last edited:
What about the RCA cables of the table? Sometimes I do find the old jacks tend to go bad. But, it almost sounds like a gain issue. Just to be sure because it happened to me, your speaker cables are firmly attached right?

Were the issue the cables to the speakers, it would result in the same issue for the tuner, cd, reel-to-reel, and the DAT, correct?

Only issue when hooked to either amplification/speaker system is the TT.

My first thought was that the trouble was with the built-in phono pre-amp in my Preamplifier....is why I tried it with my bedroom system....and got the same result
 
Have you cleaned the stylus lately? I had that happen to me, lost one channel and the sound was muddy. :scratch2:
 
If you have a cartridge like a Shure or Pickering, by some chance has the stylus accidentally been pulled out from its normal, seated position?

I had the same half volume issue once before and this was the cause. The stylus looked like it was in all the way but the internal cartridge chassis had slipped back away from the metal outer housing which was preventing the stylus from actually seating fully. Look at the cartridge from the back and make sure it's "guts" are pushed all the way into the metal casing.

*add-on* just saw your post about using another cartridge and headshell, so I guess that's out. Must be a wiring issue since you've ruled out those two possibilities and the amp - nothing much else to it really.
 
Last edited:
Food for thought...

You have eliminated amps
You have eliminated a bad cart (by trying another cart)

That leaves only one thing and most likely the culprit. From the headshell wires to the RCA's is the focus here. I would suspect that where the RCA cables connect inside the table have come loose - cracked, etc. I say that because of your move. It is doubtful that you pulled the headshell wires in the move but MOST likely the ones going into the turntable.

Open the table. Examine where the tonearm wires connect to the RCA cables. Run some continuity tests (do you have a meter ? ) Headshell wire to internal connection - Internal connection to RCA. Etc.

Heck...it could even be old/bad solder spot where the tonearm wires get hooked to the RCA cables.

The good news is..you have narrowed the field...:yes:
 
A different headshell was used with the other cart, so even the headshell wiring can be ruled out. Pretty much means either the tonearm wiring or the cables, and my bet would be the cables too.
 
I had the same half volume issue once before and this was the cause. The stylus looked like it was in all the way but the internal cartridge chassis had slipped back away from the metal outer housing which was preventing the stylus from actually seating fully. Look at the cartridge from the back and make sure it's "guts" are pushed all the way into the metal casing.

*add-on* just saw your post about using another cartridge and headshell, so I guess that's out. Must be a wiring issue since you've ruled out those two possibilities and the amp - nothing much else to it really.

Guess it will head to TT MD.......
 
Another area to check is inside the end of the tonearm where the pins from the headshell meet the contacts in the arm. These are typically spring loaded and may not be snapping back. Get in there with a small screwdriver or very fine tipped pliers to make sure they move out to where they can touch the headshell pins. Also give them a rub with a pencil eraser or Magic Eraser or something to clean them.
 
You have eliminated amps
You have eliminated a bad cart (by trying another cart)

That leaves only one thing and most likely the culprit. From the headshell wires to the RCA's is the focus here. I would suspect that where the RCA cables connect inside the table have come loose - cracked, etc. I say that because of your move. It is doubtful that you pulled the headshell wires in the move but MOST likely the ones going into the turntable.

Open the table. Examine where the tonearm wires connect to the RCA cables. Run some continuity tests (do you have a meter ? ) Headshell wire to internal connection - Internal connection to RCA. Etc.

Heck...it could even be old/bad solder spot where the tonearm wires get hooked to the RCA cables.



The good news is..you have narrowed the field...:yes:



There is a TT guy of good reputation a few miles from my house....will take it there and let him diagnose......
 
There is a TT guy of good reputation a few miles from my house....will take it there and let him diagnose......

Do my test first. It costs you nothing, takes about 30 seconds and practically no technical skill. I have had turntables that had problems in this area.
 
Back
Top Bottom