• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

R2R in 19" rack

SX550

Well-Known Member
I'm sick of the mismatched rosewood cabinet and found a cheap 19" trolley which has a huge space at an angle.
Looks ideal for a R2R.

Any ideas to convert my akai 650d to securely fit into it ? It's not made to fit in a rack but I would love too. it's 18" wide.
I think best is to make a shelf for it ?

I'm not going to hang it on the side panels :-D
 
Register to hide this ad
It's unlikely you'll find one of these sized for your deck, but you may find ones for other decks that fit. It would only attach to the back of your case, not the side.
https://goo.gl/images/3zS7g6

Or, make new sides for it with rack 'ears' attached, and keep the existing cabinet sides for non-rack use. You'll only have to finish the wood nicely on the front/top edge of the new side panels.

You could use a shelf beneath, with a support to keep it to the front, and cradle the back with a u-shaped bracket so that it doesn't tip back.

Chip
 
Easiest would be the shelf and fabricate a support for the back.
the 650 is enormous and heavy so it has to be sturdy. I'm sure I can diy it.
 
Did you measure with the 10 reels on if you wand to stick it on shelf or rack mount it? I m thinking it's a 10 deck also you don't want it hitting your other equip in a rack cabinet. I have 2 10'' Akai decks and they are heavy and those reels do get a cranking and vibrate.
 
the reels should poke out.
I'm picking up the rack tomorrow afternoon.
 
Last edited:
A trick I used to rackmount non-rackmount equipment was to put it on a shelf or another piece of rackmount equip and fill in the gap with plexiglass back painted black. Be careful of the weight and stability
 

Attachments

  • Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 29
A trick I used to rackmount non-rackmount equipment was to put it on a shelf or another piece of rackmount equip and fill in the gap with plexiglass back painted black. Be careful of the weight and stability
that black 707 needs to be next to my sweet 5570 :D
 
Finally got on the comp so some pics to help with the idea:
This is the rack where i want the r2r on the top angled part.
I measured and it fits very snugly.
42020.jpg

I'm thinking this as a bottom support.
31-iahMN1hL.jpg

And this 11cm deep vesa mount for the rear (i will mount a sturdy hardwood plank on it)
ST02125-40.jpg


Doing this i can simply lay the deck inside and the reels will poke out a few cm, and i can easily angle the deck for cleaning etc ... :D
 
Back
Top Bottom