• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Radio Shack MPA 250

Denclock

New Member
I found a Radio Shack MPA 250 in a local thrift/antique mall. I thought about it, and read this AudioKarma thread from a few years back.

I decided to get it, and ended up paying a little over $60 when tax was added. I have the option to take it back if I want.

I don't think it takes away, or adds (which is the mark of a good amp I would think, but I am just really starting to get into audio treasure hunting) anything to the music (maybe a little head room) running it from the recent B&K Reference 50 which I am liking a lot) I got.

Was just wondering what the consensus was on these, as I saw another thread that wasn't too favorable. It doesn't feel cheap to me, but if they are duds I would like to take it back in a timely manner.
 
Register to hide this ad
It is an amplifier, but it was never designed to be in competition with audiophile equipment. It's better suited to be used in an auditorium function where loudness is important.
 
Have one some where. It actually is a reasonable amplifier. The 250A or 250B are cheaper builds, and not so robust. (the 250 has meters on the front, the 250A and 250B are identical except the A is silver and the B is black, and have LED displays and a cheesy mixer built in.)
 
Yes, I do hope it performs like an amplifier. It is the one with the meters on it. I haven't really pushed it much, but it seems decent so far.

I hope it is a good one, I love getting good buys.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far.
 
Last edited:
For $60 I think you did just fine. I had one way back when and found it be a good performer, sounded nice, and the meters were a nice added touch as well. You could do a lot worse for the money spent.
 
If you decide to upgrade in the future, a matching B&K amp would be an excellent choice. The Reference 125.2 would be a fantastic stereo amp. They also have multi-channel amps in the same series, if you're running HT.

Good luck!
 
It's a public address amp. What are you expecting from it?
Right and wrong. Two versions made. I have both. The PA version is limited and best suited to a mono block. The other version is the sleeper amp extraordinaire. The frequency response matches my NAD 3020 Series 30 exactly. I have my ADCOM SLC-505 pre; Onkyo C-7030 cd player pushing Dahlquist DQ-8’a and B&O BeoVox S75’s. For the $, its the cleanest and most powerful rig I have put together. I have 200+ components and twice the number if speaker pairs. It’s my static rig. The others rotate. This rig is my #1 and permanent. I have not bested it yet. Hard to believe, I agree.

It's a public address amp. What are you expecting from it?
 

Attachments

  • B2FDA048-73D1-4E74-B055-321E390E3733.jpeg
    B2FDA048-73D1-4E74-B055-321E390E3733.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 229
Right and wrong. Two versions made. I have both. The PA version is limited and best suited to a mono block. The other version is the sleeper amp extraordinaire. The frequency response matches my NAD 3020 Series 30 exactly. I have my ADCOM SLC-505 pre; Onkyo C-7030 cd player pushing Dahlquist DQ-8’a and B&O BeoVox S75’s. For the $, its the cleanest and most powerful rig I have put together. I have 200+ components and twice the number if speaker pairs. It’s my static rig. The others rotate. This rig is my #1 and permanent. I have not bested it yet. Hard to believe, I agree.
MPA 250 Owners Manual specs
upload_2021-9-5_20-3-3.png
Which specs are you posting? I'm guessing NAD or different Radio Shack amp...
 
Here's my 2 cents: I have owned an MPA-250 and found it to be a pretty good hifi amp. At $60, I think it is an excellent buy. As far as calling it "audiophile," I would say it has entry level audiophile sound. The fact that it is a PA amp doesn't matter to me at all if it sounds good, and it does. YMMV
 
I have two of them. They run my subwoofers used underneath the Heresys upstairs. They work. They work fine. They were cheap and I was lucky to find a pair. I think they were just under $100 for the pair. 7 years ago. They don't have as much guts as you might think, however. An old HK Citation 22 drove those same subs to unreal levels. Hell, that HK is more powerfull than a Peavey CS400. They work fine and are very flexible and easy to use for many applications.
 
I recently purchased an MPA250 (original version with analog VU meters) unused and still sealed in its original packaging. At a bargain price too as I think the seller focused on the "public address" description.
I'm using a recently restored Kenwood KA-5002 as a pre-amp, and custom speakers that I built earlier this year. The combination sounds really good....... as in shockingly so.
The Kenwood is quite warm sounding, which I really like and the RS amp complements it perfectly. Given that I bought the MPA out of curiosity and $/watt bang for buck, I am blown away at how good it sounds. Solid bass, clear treble, maybe a tiny bit recessed in the mid-range which is ironic given the PA description.
I also have a Sonamp 260 (with input board and potentiometers bypassed), a Quad 303 and of course the internal amp on the Kenwood. Compared to these I rate the RS amp as the best for my particular set up/room etc.
 
Right and wrong. Two versions made. I have both. The PA version is limited and best suited to a mono block. The other version is the sleeper amp extraordinaire. The frequency response matches my NAD 3020 Series 30 exactly. I have my ADCOM SLC-505 pre; Onkyo C-7030 cd player pushing Dahlquist DQ-8’a and B&O BeoVox S75’s. For the $, its the cleanest and most powerful rig I have put together. I have 200+ components and twice the number if speaker pairs. It’s my static rig. The others rotate. This rig is my #1 and permanent. I have not bested it yet. Hard to believe, I agree.
How do you tell the two apart? I used one in a church PA for a while and it was quite unimpressive.
 
I found a Radio Shack MPA 250 in a local thrift/antique mall. I thought about it, and read this AudioKarma thread from a few years back.

I decided to get it, and ended up paying a little over $60 when tax was added. I have the option to take it back if I want.

I don't think it takes away, or adds (which is the mark of a good amp I would think, but I am just really starting to get into audio treasure hunting) anything to the music (maybe a little head room) running it from the recent B&K Reference 50 which I am liking a lot) I got.

Was just wondering what the consensus was on these, as I saw another thread that wasn't too favorable. It doesn't feel cheap to me, but if they are duds I would like to take it back in a timely manner.
The Rad Shak MPA-250 (the one pictured) is an awesome, powerful amp. As you stated, it does not color the sound= pure 2 channel power. I can say for myself, thats what I want. Someone that paid $1000 (which i have-recently: dbx BX-3 @ at 180 wpc/8)ohms, a beautiful monster), $2500, $5000 and above might feel the need to trash this amp so they feel vindicated or not foolish for spending so much $. I have never paid more than $150 for an MPA-250.
I currently have 5 or six (gear buying addiction) and am delighted when I find someone in the market for a low or no budget amp…then I hook them up. I have only ever had positive feedback. Like the Minimus 7 speaker, Tandy got it right when the created this amp. I have seen 2 other companies that have rebranded or copied the MPA 250.
Rad Dhak made a true PA version & I have a couple. They can be used n the home, but they are very limited in inputs and outputs. Stick with the version below. In case someone needs the owners manual, I attached it below. It is hard to find, well it was before you read this post.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0967.jpeg
    IMG_0967.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 76
  • RADIO SHACK MPA-250.pdf
    RADIO SHACK MPA-250.pdf
    858.7 KB · Views: 69
The Rad Shak MPA-250 (the one pictured) is an awesome, powerful amp. As you stated, it does not color the sound= pure 2 channel power. I can say for myself, thats what I want. Someone that paid $1000 (which i have-recently: dbx BX-3 @ at 180 wpc/8)ohms, a beautiful monster), $2500, $5000 and above might feel the need to trash this amp so they feel vindicated or not foolish for spending so much $. I have never paid more than $150 for an MPA-250.
I currently have 5 or six (gear buying addiction) and am delighted when I find someone in the market for a low or no budget amp…then I hook them up. I have only ever had positive feedback. Like the Minimus 7 speaker, Tandy got it right when the created this amp. I have seen 2 other companies that have rebranded or copied the MPA 250.
Rad Dhak made a true PA version & I have a couple. They can be used n the home, but they are very limited in inputs and outputs. Stick with the version below. In case someone needs the owners manual, I attached it below. It is hard to find, well it was before you read this post.
 

Attachments

  • Facebook_creation_3171417332989150.jpeg
    Facebook_creation_3171417332989150.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Facebook_creation_3171417332989150.jpeg
    Facebook_creation_3171417332989150.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom