• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Radio Shack Nova 8B, Optimus 5 speakers - my thoughts

Krosya

Well-Known Member
As many here know, these are pretty popular speakers. Not everyone likes them or even considers as good ones, but on the other hand there is also some serious following when it comes to RS products and these speakers in particular.
I too like RS stuff and own a few receivers, speakers, turntables, etc. When it comes to speakers Nova 8b and Optimus 5 as well as little Minimus 7 are among my favorites.
I read a lot of information about these - here as well as other online places, before actually trying them out. Of course I did read through most of the still on-going thread about the crossover upgrade from VL. Lots of interesting info there.
Fast-forwarding to the present day - I own 2 sets - one Nova 8b and one Optimus 5. Optimus 5 I have was found in near "museum" condition - practically not a mark on them, even L-pads had original paper stickers on them, - previous owner never used them!:
DSC00846.jpg

DSC00847.jpg

My pair of the Nova 8b's were in much more used state - lots of marks on the cabinets - needed a lot of cleaning and wood treatment to bring them back to a reasonable condition. However - all the drivers worked fine. Here they are with the lattice grills. :
DSC00848.jpg

DSC00851.jpg

DSC00852.jpg

Anyway, after I acquired these speakers, I listened to them and to be honest, was not very impressed. Somewhat muddy, as people say - like a blanket was draped over them. While they seemed like well made speakers, sound just was not there. So, into storage they went. After all, I have enough of other speakers that are better. At least considered to be better.
I did for a while consider to spend time and money and do this famous VL crossover upgrade. After all - some people seem to be very happy with the results. But somehow I just couldnt see myself spending that much money on the speakers that I felt was pretty average. Not do I have enough trust in my own skills to properly make these crossovers anyway. I can do a recap, but this just seemed way out of my comfort level. So, I just let these sit until I decide what to do with them.
Well, finally, I found time and desire to get them out and do a recap - much simpler than a new crossover and cheaper too. I decided not to skimp on parts, yet not to spend too much and got nicer new caps - for one pair 5% Daytons and for another - Jantzens - mid grade (slightly more expensive than Daytons).
At first - I was somewhat disappointed, with both pairs. Sound didnt seem to change all that much. I mean, I could tell some difference for the better, but nothing dramatic. I did measure old caps and some were way out of spec, yet some were not really that bad.
I, at that time, was still somewhat on a fence about the whole "capacitor burn-in" story, even though, I feel like in some speakers I did recap in a past there was some burn-in time.
So, I thought, I would just wait and see. As my reference I had my DefTech's BP10 speakers as a reference to do AB comparison.
At first, DefTechs were a clear winner - well, no surprise there. But funny enough, after about a couple of days, I could tell that these RS speakers started to sound better and better.
It's a 3rd day now and while they dont match clarity of the DefTechs - they sound very very good - much clearer, greater soundstage and stereo separation, a huge improvement over the how they sounded with the old stock caps! I'm actually impressed! I realize now that these are very capable speakers, that are easy to enjoy, once they have quality caps put in them. Out of all my recapped speakers - these and Advents Legacy had the most dramatic improvement. So, a couple of lessons to learn - dont look down on these and use good quality parts - and they will sing! Dont know if VL crossover upgrade would have made them sound even better, (not really sure, as there are limitations to everything), but a good recap is a must for sure.
Have Novas hooked up to Pioneer SX-737 and have them playing as I type this - and they sound beautiful!
 
Register to hide this ad
I did the same with a set of Nova 6's and a set of NLA's. Both definitely hit way above their weight when finished. I was very impressed, and I have some pretty good speakers to compare with.
 
Hey Krosya! I, too, have a pair of the Optimus 5 and a pair of the VL Nova 8b. I bought the VL Nova 8b from a fellow AK member already complete with the mods. I did recap the Optimus 5 with standard caps and was happy with them. The difference between the two are the Optimus 5 seem a little louder 3-4db at Upper mid lower- treble frequencies. And have a smaller sweet spot than the VL speakers. Most of all the VL Novas sound much more balanced and don't blare at you at loud volumes. Some say they think the VL Novas don't produce enough treble in the tweeter. If a person is used to the original crossover sound, then I can understand that as the original design, the mids were producing some treble frequencies, too according to VL findings, I might next spring use Jantzen Silver Z caps in the tweeter line to see if it does brighten up the tweeter.
 
I didn't play mine really loud yet, but went as high as 12 o'clock position on Pioneer sx 737 and didn't notice any blaring/unpleasant sound.
 
I have a pairs of Nova 8's and 8b's. Like them both better than the Nova 7b's and Optimus 1's that I owned. Not the be all world beater, but they won't be moving anywhere soon, (albeit coming from someone that owns thirty various pairs). Recapped both pair with Dayton lytics,...good enough.

Dang decent speakers that would be rather expensive to duplicate in today's world.
 
I have a pair of very nice Optimus 5s. At the time they came out they were RS's best speaker. What I noticed about mine is that they love power. They sound pretty much ok with lower watt amps but hit them with 55 to 125 wpc and they turn into another beast all together. Along with my rebuilt and re capped KLH 6s and Marantz Imperial 6s they are the three favorite speakers I own. I like the pots on the O5s better than I do than the switches on the Novas.

I also own a superb set of Optimus 1s and it is really an apples and oranges comparison. The O5 was designed to compete with the KLH 5 and the O1s were supposed to compete with the KLH 17. I owned a recapped and re dopes par of KLH 17s and I liked the O1s a lot better. But one thing they share is that they both sound better with more power.

20190912_103246.jpg
20190912_103222.jpg
20190912_103315.jpg
20190912_103334.jpg
20190910_074943.jpg
20190910_075624.jpg
 
I have a pair of very nice Optimus 5s. At the time they came out they were RS's best speaker. What I noticed about mine is that they love power. They sound pretty much ok with lower watt amps but hit them with 55 to 125 wpc and they turn into another beast all together. Along with my rebuilt and re capped KLH 6s and Marantz Imperial 6s they are the three favorite speakers I own. I like the pots on the O5s better than I do than the switches on the Novas.

View attachment 1652618
View attachment 1652617
View attachment 1652619

Aren't those actually Optimus 5b's?
 
I have a pairs of Nova 8's and 8b's. Like them both better than the Nova 7b's and Optimus 1's that I owned. Not the be all world beater, but they won't be moving anywhere soon, (albeit coming from someone that owns thirty various pairs). Recapped both pair with Dayton lytics,...good enough.

Dang decent speakers that would be rather expensive to duplicate in today's world.

The O1s are very similar to the KLH 17 but have more bass than the 17s. I really like mine but the O5s and even my Nova 6s spank them in bass. But they are a very smooth speaker....great for jazz.
 
Just picked up a pair of Nova 10 speakers for cheap, someone replaced one of the original white speaker with the rubber surround with some other unknown with rotting foam surround.
They sound darn good and look good as well, but will be looking for a replacement original 10" speaker.
Anyone have one?:idea:
 
This thread got me to dig out my Optimus 1s and try them with my Marantz 1060. I usually like at least 55+wpc with them to get them to sparkle. The 1060 performed its usual above average job and gets them to sound great. Very detailed highs with smooth mids and lows. They are not a booming rock type speaker, but are very nice for most other kind of music. Right now they are playing "Amarillo By Morning " and it sounds like George is in the room with me.

20191024_121023.jpg 20191024_121014.jpg
 
Almost, but not exactly. The O5 is 0710Aa. The O5b is 0710Ac. (I think). But both are 4 ohm I'm sure.
And the mids and tweets are different from each other on each speaker, meaning neither speaker has three of the same drivers in one box. The 2 mids are different than the tweet.
Clear as mud?

The O5 woofer sure has a pretty aluminum basket. But the stamped O5b woofer performs better, and is more durable. Look closely at the cones.
 
I wish I had bought either the Nova 8b or Optimus 5's packaged with my STA90 Receiver back in 1979 instead of the Mack Ones. While the Mach One's did a fine job listening to Rush - Fly by Nighf and Aerosmith's " Get you wings at 100 db's, 90% of the pop music I listened to then was at a much lower volume where The Mach One's sounded thin.

I think paper cone tweeters done properly can produce a nicely balanced, full bodied sound that not only works well with the pop music of their time, but can also do some serious rock as well.

I loved the STA 90 reciever.
 
I wish I had bought either the Nova 8b or Optimus 5's packaged with my STA90 Receiver back in 1979 instead of the Mack Ones. While the Mach One's did a fine job listening to Rush - Fly by Nighf and Aerosmith's " Get you wings at 100 db's, 90% of the pop music I listened to then was at a much lower volume where The Mach One's sounded thin.

I think paper cone tweeters done properly can produce a nicely balanced, full bodied sound that not only works well with the pop music of their time, but can also do some serious rock as well.

I loved the STA 90 reciever.
There are some good paper cone tweeters. The ones used in the Nova 8B's and Optimus it's are supposed to be pretty good. I like the CTS phenolic ring paper cone tweeters. They're in my Marantz Imperial 5's and 6's.
Over all though I tend to prefer soft dome tweeters as long as they aren't metal or mylar. Silk domes sound really good.
 
Back
Top Bottom